Express 5:25+ woes

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzphan89

Reaction score
Hey guys, so I'm really struggling with my Express 2:25+ with my Les Paul - sounds glorious at home but as soon as I take it out I get lost in the mix and turn up too loud so I have to change the behavior/EQ better I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to cut better live/have more high end without sounding thin or shrill.

Les Paul w/ WCR Fillmores - Express 5:25+ with the stock V30 is the chain. Nothing in the loop

A few questions.

>All modes/both channels or just certain ones?
> How loud? Provide knob positions if possible
> Does adjusting the EQ get you close, what settings?

Consider a speaker change. Many think the V30 cuts well, others hear ice pick or shrill highs. A closed back cab might change things. The C90 works for some people. Search the forum. I like a Cannabis Rex, but it may not cut like you want. Also have a Tone Tubby Purple which is brighter but less efficient. A Winterland Greg might work well. WGS and Scumback make V30 types that could work very well for you.

Tubes - maybe, would work with EQ and speakers first. Else, maybe you would like a 5:50 with more power and not driving the output section as hard.

Sounds almost like you just need more power. Maybe the 5:50 Plus? Either that or keep experimenting with the EQ.

jazzphan89 said:
Hey guys, so I'm really struggling with my Express 2:25+ with my Les Paul - sounds glorious at home but as soon as I take it out I get lost in the mix and turn up too loud so I have to change the behavior/EQ better I'd really appreciate any suggestions on how to cut better live/have more high end without sounding thin or shrill.

Les Paul w/ WCR Fillmores - Express 5:25+ with the stock V30 is the chain. Nothing in the loop

I've got a 5:25+ and have kept up with a MKIIC+ before. Was loud as can be but it worked. That said, my home EQ settings are different than when I play out with a band. With a band my treble is up a couple of notches, as is my mid. Also, add low end back into the output with the EQ. That keeps the bass from getting flubby at higher volumes and gives you a better balance.

With speakers, I use an MC90, as the V30 was to ice-picky for me at higher volumes. YMMV and all that....

Al

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the different suggestions. The issue is on both channels. I snapped a picture of my settings, however they may have been bumped a bit. I sort of see the error of my ways now, whereas I should dial in more treble on both channels.

Also, the speaker was at my feet and because of the space I was really close to the amp instead of where the sound tends to "form" a bit farther away. I had plenty of gas left, so I'm not sure it's a power issue but appreciate the input. When I was using the solo feature I could hear myself perfectly and the amp felt great, but it was very loud.

Would an amp stand help me in this situation?

Wow, picture looked much better on the screen. Sorry guys. I'm on the clean and burn channels most of the time.

Start by working the EQ, less in the mids. An amp stand will help what you hear but have someone check the balance out front.

If your combo is on the floor, get it up! I use this for my LC-15 Laney Combo. It will hold a Fender twin with ease. : On-Stage Amp Stand

When playing with the band, try rolling you bass setting back a number or two.

You have a lot of good advice here. Good luck!!

I agree. Get the amp up off the floor. I almost always have my smaller amps off the floor when I play with a band.

Really great advice here - thank you to all who have contributed! I have a stand - one of those On-Stage jobbers that everyone has, but I heard the Standback stands are good too. Minutia I guess...

Len, i'll try the V setting as well!

Would that compromise the "more mids" advice though?

If your stage is really tight I would go with a tilt back stand. I use one at Church and it has worked wonders. I can hear myself and no longer get asked to turn down. Some folks dis the Ultimate tilt back stand but I have two and have had no issues.

JMHO,

TW

Back