Extension Cabs for Express 5:50 PLUS

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwgatti24

Reaction score
I want to buy extension cab(s) for my Express 5:50 PLUS Combo. Right now I have a Marshall 1960A 4x12 (4 ohm & 16 ohm inputs).
What would you guys recommend?
I am thinking a 4 x 12, but would prefer 2-2 x12 cabs...
Can the Mesa 4 x 12 cab handle 2 separate amps used in A/B?
Or am i better of with 2-2 x 12 cabs, and run them in series from the back of my Express Combo?
Any references, or a Speaker Cabs for Dummies book will do.
Thanks,
cw

I've got the Mesa 2x12 Vertical. I love it! I had a Mesa 2x12 horizontal, but it put the head too low to the ground.

The wide body 1x12 would be cool with the combo, depending on how much air you need to move.

I would add that the Celestion C-90 Black Shadow speakers that come in the 5:50+ combo are really perfectly matched to the 5:50+.

I converted my 5:50+ combo to a head, partly out of weight/portability considerations, but kept the speaker and put it in an external 1x12 cab made by Stone Age Custom Cabs. He makes EXCELLENT cabinets. It is a partial open-back configuration. He makes two sizes of 2x12s and a 4x12 as well. I believe C90s can be ordered by themselves direct from Mesa.

I then also went out and bought a 4x12 Mesa Slant traditional - but loaded with C90s instead of V30s like normal, I use that for my "heavy" band.

I just got my Express 5:50 plus head a few days ago ... been having tons of fun experimenting with different cabs and pedals. I'm just curious what the Boogie Board community has had the best luck with. My trusty old JCM 800 1960a sounds pretty amazing, both clean and dirty. My Vox 112 with a Celestion Blue sounds great clean and slightly dirty ... but not so good crunchy. My Dr Z 112 with a 75th anniversary Celestion (G12H 30 watt) sounds just okay on all settings. I'm really interested in a 212 cabinet/speaker combo that can cover some ground between country clean and rock and roll.

When I bought my 5:50 plus direct from Mesa Hollywood back in 2014, I asked up front "What would you recommend as the 2 X12 cab best suited to the 5:50 head. The rep I worked with (Mark) suggested the 2X12 Horizontal Rectifier cabinet. It's got a closed back with Celestion Vintage 30s. I've been very happy with that arrangement.

Leathan said:
When I bought my 5:50 plus direct from Mesa Hollywood back in 2014, I asked up front "What would you recommend as the 2 X12 cab best suited to the 5:50 head. The rep I worked with (Mark) suggested the 2X12 Horizontal Rectifier cabinet. It's got a closed back with Celestion Vintage 30s. I've been very happy with that arrangement.

Sounds better with 1 Vintage 30 and 1 GT12 75 :)

I'm using two 23" LoneStar cabs ( single Celestion MC90 Black Shadow - well broken in speaker in each cab)... good enough for me!

I pair my Express 5:50+ head with an Earcandy 2x12 Buzzbomb loaded with an Eminence Deltalite ii 2512 and a Jensen Jet Tornado. Closed back, front ported. Very happy with the match. The Neo speakers also help keep it a little lighter and more mobile. The cabinet can go horizontal or vertical.

Back