New Express 5:50 PLUS Purchase Dilemma

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwgatti24

Reaction score
I just bought a Mesa Express 5:50 PLUS. It's a new amp that was on display in the store, but sold to me as NEW.
Well, when they shipped it I pulled it out and it has a small tear in the tolex right above the power switch. It is in the nook where the plywood top juts out just to the left of the plastic corner protector. I wouldn't give them high marks on the packaging of the amp for delivery (and it did make 5 stops on it's way here. Probably dropped more times than I can count), but the area that is torn did have a molded styrofoam corner piece that protected it in the box.
I called to let them know about the problem, but they have not called back.
It is driving me crazy...
Should I try to repair it and just accept it or return it?
How hard is it to make a repair like that?
I like to buy and trade gear and I feel like this tear hurts the resale value...
Any thoughts?
Regards,
Chris
P.S. How do I add pics?

A new amp should not come with cuts in the tolex. If it was mine, and was sold to me as new, it would be on the way back. Completely unacceptable IMHO.

Where did you buy it from?

I am going to give them a chance to fix it before I call them out publicly...
But thank you. That's about the way I feel right now.

That's not a tear. That's a factory cut to fit the tolex to the shape of the cab. Look on the opposite side and you'll see the same thing. Looks like the glue didn't stick and it just needs to be glued back down. Dab a tiny bit of superglue with the tip of a toothpick, press it down and it'll be good as new.

The dealer was Haggerty's Music in Rapid City, South Dakota.
They offered me a $50 gift card as compensation...
May be my last online transaction for a while.

like jmontgomery said - that is not a tear, that is a factory cut in the tolex to make it fit the cabinet...I have the same thing on my 5:25 head...that's not torn, it just seems unglued so take some super glue and put it back...you have the same thing on the other side...

but yeah, if you're sure they sold you a display model without a good discount and new power tubes I would suck their blood or just demand a replacement...

Any vinyl glue, contact cement, or even super glue will do. Just be careful not to get it on the surface of the vinyl - the toothpick trick works well to apply it sparingly. Thanks!

Krek13 said:
like jmontgomery said - that is not a tear, that is a factory cut in the tolex to make it fit the cabinet...I have the same thing on my 5:25 head...that's not torn, it just seems unglued so take some super glue and put it back...you have the same thing on the other side...

but yeah, if you're sure they sold you a display model without a good discount and new power tubes I would suck their blood or just demand a replacement...

It was a good discount. It was a demo. Perfect except for the tear.
Free delivery and no tax so it was a great deal.
Just hate to see the tear. I'll fix it.
For the record, Haggerty's was great in offering help and restitution. I really just wanted them to know, more than rake them over the coals. I may not even use the $50 gift card they offered.

dude, for the third time - it's not a tear, it's a factory tolex cut that just got unglued somehow :idea:

if it was discounted + free shipping then I really don't see what is the actual problem...just go play and ignore your OCD (we all have some of it nowadays)...

Apologies to all:
From now on, I will refer to it as a "tolex lift"
My "tolex lift" really isn't even bothering me anymore. I will fix it this weekend.
Thanks again,
cw

cwgatti24 said:
Apologies to all:
My "tolex lift" really isn't even bothering me anymore. I will fix it this weekend.
Thanks again,
cw

it shouldn't bother you at all, it was glued before so its ok if you just glue it again and it will be good as new :)
enjoy your new amp!

cwgatti24 said:
Apologies to all:
Thanks again,
cw

No apology needed! Its definitely a rarity to see that happen - but thankfully its an easy fix. If you need any further assistance please contact us in Customer Service. Thanks!

Back