Attenuator

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvilmer

Reaction score
I built a simple L-Pad attenuator to achieve bedroom volume levels from my Express 5:50+ without having to lower gain or master levels on the amp. It works well up to -12db without significant tone degradation. Warm at 25 watts, does not even get warm at 5 watts. I don't use 50 watt often with the attenuator on, but it does get hot if you play with the guitar turned up, nothing I worry about. I added a metalized polypropylene cap to the circuit so keep the tone in check.

I liked it enough that I made it a permanent mod to the cabinet.

Parts Express Speaker L-Pad Attenuator 100W Mono 3/8" Shaft 8 Ohm
Solen Fast Metallized Polypropylene Capacitor, 2.2uF - 630V
L-Pad Knob and Faceplate for 3/8" Shaft

I rarely got to play loud in my living situation and found myself playing through headphones with Amplitube more than my amp, but after this mod, I love the sound I get out of my Express 5:50+.

Interesting; I never really felt the need for one on my 5:50+ because of the 5W settings for each channel. Unless you are trying to get power tube overdrive on the clean channel then the 5W always has sounded pretty good to me at low volumes.

Volume seems relative to situation and style. I don't use pedals and normally play my stratocaster (std am pickups). Even at 5 watts, turning the master above 9 o'clock is loud enough to cause conniptions in my abode, particularly if I crank the gain. Thing is, I think the amp sounds sweeter with the master above 10 o'clock. I find the same thing with the 25 watt AB setting, sweeter above 10 o'clock, and most definitely loud.

Some of the factory sample settings have the master up around 12.

Cost me about 30 bucks to do this mod, worth it for me, haven't used Amplitube since.

Back