EL84's versus EL34's and 6L6's

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KLando

Reaction score
I know the 3 tubes have different characteristics so lets not even get into that side of the discussion. My question is if you are running two similar 20 watt amps, one equipped with 84's and the othe with 34's or 6L6's, if you are not pushing the pwr section can you really tell the difference in tubes since the pre tubes are doing the majority of the work? I play loud enough to "feel" it and no louder than that. So at the volume i play i dont even know if the power tubes would even have a chance to add their "character' into the overall sound.

In my experience, the different tube character comes through even when not driven to power clip, which is what you're suggesting as the limit.

A perfect example is a Divided by 13 JRT9/15 amp that has switchable power outputs - one a 2xEL84 output, the other 2x6V6, using the same pre-amp. I've played with this amp and there is a noticeable difference between the two power sections at the same pre-amp settings in clean sounds.

I've not played a 5:25+ so I can't compare it to my 5:50+, however. I'm theorizing that some of the tone differences can be masked if the pre-amp is a more dominant player in the tone command than the power section, but that the power section characteristics will always come through at least some. Maybe that Divided by 13 amp purposely lets the power section play more of a role in the overall tone than say an Express 5:25+ vs 5:50+, that I'm not sure about.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah hard to say if that amp u mentioned lets the power tubes play a more prominent role. Waiting on a guy from Sweetwater to get back to me as well. Thanks again. Every lil bit helps.

I gigged a 5:50 for years and I also have a 5:25 that I still uses as a backup, rehearsal and grab and go amp. You can tell the difference, but honestly, the speaker makes a much bigger difference than the power tubes, especially in a circuit like the Express where most of the gain character is from the preamp.

Through the same speaker, the differences in the 5:25 versus the 5:50 are very slight.

KLando said:
I know the 3 tubes have different characteristics so lets not even get into that side of the discussion. My question is if you are running two similar 20 watt amps, one equipped with 84's and the othe with 34's or 6L6's, if you are not pushing the pwr section can you really tell the difference in tubes since the pre tubes are doing the majority of the work? I play loud enough to "feel" it and no louder than that. So at the volume i play i dont even know if the power tubes would even have a chance to add their "character' into the overall sound.

possibly the best example of this are Egnater Rebel 20 & Rebel 30 amps.
I have owned both & currently have Rebel 30 head.
these amps have both EL84's and 6V6 power tubes with a switching & mixing dial running thru the same preamp tubes, same circuit, same speakers.
You can switch from full EL84 to full 6V6 plus mix them anyway you want.

The diff between the tube types is significant but not large.
6V6's sound very similar to 6L6's imo.
The EL84s break up earlier, sound more british/marshall flavoured & have more amp hiss :mrgreen:

Back