Express 5:50 vs 5:50 plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jammintree

Reaction score
I'm seriously looking at getting an express 5:50 as a grab and go amp. I play blues rock, alternative, classic rock, jazz, funk, RnB, etc and need a portable versatile amp. For sizeable gigs I play a Maverick 2x12 which I REALLY love.

Looking at used Express there is often a substantial difference in price between the original series and the plus series. I understand the various features that have been added to the plus. Does the graphic EQ really offer that much more flexibility than the contour knob? Are there other differences in the two models that really make them significantly different amps?

Can those of you who are familiar with both make a comparison?

jammintree said:
I'm seriously looking at getting an express 5:50 as a grab and go amp. I play blues rock, alternative, classic rock, jazz, funk, RnB, etc and need a portable versatile amp. For sizeable gigs I play a Maverick 2x12 which I REALLY love.

Looking at used Express there is often a substantial difference in price between the original series and the plus series. I understand the various features that have been added to the plus. Does the graphic EQ really offer that much more flexibility than the contour knob? Are there other differences in the two models that really make them significantly different amps?

Can those of you who are familiar with both make a comparison?

Well 5:50 is not grab n go - weighs 48 pounds.
If you want grab n go get 5:25, Mark Five 25, TA30 or Mini Rec.

the Plus EQ is 5 band and a good EQ will deliver the same (or better) for about $70.
I've had an MXR 6 band EQ on my board for yrs now running thru the 5:50 loop.
http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m109-6-band-graphic-eq
Delivers great tonal versatility plus acts as a solo boost.
So one good EQ pedal covers the Plus EQ & solo switch add ons.

As for tones the 2 amps are slightly different thru the range but equal in quality imo.
On the 5:25 the Plus has signficantly less amp humm

I don't mind 48 lbs. The 1x12 that I have been using is about 55lbs and I've been hauling that to and fro to random rehearsals and jams a couple of times a week. For a true grab and go I have a Peavey Classic 20 which covers my home practice and REALLY small / quite contexts.

I have had the same thoughts. My vote is for the non-plus for a grab and go.

I have both a non-plus 5:50 combo, and a 5:25 plus head and cabinet.

I really like the features on the Plus. I gave serious thought to upgrading my 5:50 to a plus.

After taking the 5:50 on a few gigs I decided against it. I wasn't going to use those features on a gig. I wasn't going to go adjusting the EQ, flipping the power levels, etc... on a grab and go type of gig. I use those things more at home and for recording.

So, my vote is go with the non-plus for a grab and go.

Len Rabinowitz said:

I really like the features on the Plus. I gave serious thought to upgrading my 5:50 to a plus.

After taking the 5:50 on a few gigs I decided against it. I wasn't going to use those features on a gig. I wasn't going to go adjusting the EQ, flipping the power levels, etc... on a grab and go type of gig. I use those things more at home and for recording.

Having a plus and original express, do you find that the contour knob does most of what the eq does?

No. The EQ is definitely more powerful then the contour knob. But in a lot of gig situations the tonal subtleties get lost anyway. The contour knob is still useful for a little boost or tonal change.

jammintree said:
Len Rabinowitz said:

Having a plus and original express, do you find that the contour knob does most of what the eq does?

the contour is a mid scoop device & is very useful for me.
It also works well as a solo boost.
5 Band EQ will give much more tonal variation, 6-10 band gives more.
EQ pedals give you both great tonal variation & massive solo boost options

Latest posts

Back