5:50+ - wildly different volumes in each voice?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynorth14

Reaction score
Relatively new 5:50+ owner here, and I am finding blues and crunch at similar volumes, burn way higher and clean way lower - makes channel switching almost hazardous. Anyone else the same? Am I doing something wrong?

(Otherwise incredibly pleased with the tones!!)

thx in advance

Nope, that's about right. My Express 5:25+ is the same, and the 5:50+ I played was as well.

Al

hazardous?
you have two master volumes, jeeez :roll: :mrgreen:

Andynorth14 said:
Relatively new 5:50+ owner here, and I am finding blues and crunch at similar volumes, burn way higher and clean way lower - makes channel switching almost hazardous. Anyone else the same? Am I doing something wrong?

thx in advance

Yes, that's normal for all 2 (or 3) channel tube amps.
Adding gain adds lots of volume.
That's why your amp has 2 master volumes.
As Krek says - use them :mrgreen:

you'll also find lots of non Mesa multi channel tube amps around with only 1 master volume covering all channels.
These are impossible to equalise & I will never buy one

I find that my clean/crunch modes are pretty similar in volume to each other when the gain is set near the middle of the spectrum (i.e., between 10:00 and 1:00 or so).

Burn is definitely louder than blues at the same gain setting. But you can't channel switch between modes on the same channel, so you just have to know to tweak the volume a bit when you switch between the two modes.

And like others have said, each channel has a master volume control, so you should always be able to match volumes between the two channels by changing the master volume control, and it won't be unusual for the volume positions to be different, depending on the rest of your amp settings, which mode you're in, EQ, etc.

Enjoy your 5:50+, I've had mine for over a year and still love playing with different tone settings (I have dialed in my "go to" settings, however).

Newysurfer said:
Andynorth14 said:

thx in advance

you'll also find lots of non Mesa multi channel tube amps around with only 1 master volume covering all channels.

I too thought gain increased volume, but it doesn't have a major effect. It sounds louder because with distortion it widens the bandwidth output but doesn't necessarily increase the db. Human ears perceive the wider bandwith as louder :)

Pilotltd said:
Newysurfer said:
Andynorth14 said:

thx in advance

I too thought gain increased volume, but it doesn't have a major effect. It sounds louder because with distortion it widens the bandwidth output but doesn't necessarily increase the db. Human ears perceive the wider bandwith as louder :)

Yes, louder as perceived by the human ear- same as saying it sounds louder :mrgreen:

Back