Power Amp Noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Psychopasta

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a 5:25 Express (the original model, not the Plus) and I'm getting a lot of power amp noise. The noise is a scratchy, static-y sound. I know it's the power amp, because I can turn the preamp master volume to zero, and switch between clean and burn, with no effect. I have also put a patch cable into the FX Send but not put it into the return, so the whole pre-amp is not connected.

Thinking it was likely power tubes, I replaced them, and I also replaced the preamp tubes for good measure, but this has not affected the noise. The signal when playing is fine, and the amp works perfectly otherwise, but the noise at rest is just very irritating for when I practice or am playing quietly. I do think it's above what is normal, certainly for all the other tube amps I've used.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

- Pasta

Try running it with nothing plugged in the front or effects loop and see if it's still making the same noise.

It does. It takes about 2 minutes from being powered on, and sees to be the power stage of the amp

- Pasta

Hello!

This sounds not good. This issue can occur if the power amp tubes are not seated right and firm in the holders. You could also have a issue with the output transformer that overheats and the power tubes are getting mismatch with the impedance of the amp.

Dr B

Latest posts

Back