The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Wed Sep 20, 2017 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:11 am 
Mark I

A bit late to the party here...

FWIW I put a complete Doug's tube cocktail in my Express 5:25 a few months back. Soon after, the amp started buzzing like mad esp on higher gain settings (not just hum but gut-wrenching buzz). I did a complete one-by-one tube swap to try to isolate the problem, no joy. I assumed it was a chassis problem so brought it in to Mesa for service. $150 and 10 days later it turned out to be not one but 2 bad preamp tubes, brand new from Doug's. I put new Mesa preamp tubes back in.

Problem solved.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:45 am 
Mark II

alphasports wrote:
A bit late to the party here...

FWIW I put a complete Doug's tube cocktail in my Express 5:25 a few months back. Soon after, the amp started buzzing like mad esp on higher gain settings (not just hum but gut-wrenching buzz). I did a complete one-by-one tube swap to try to isolate the problem, no joy. I assumed it was a chassis problem so brought it in to Mesa for service. $150 and 10 days later it turned out to be not one but 2 bad preamp tubes, brand new from Doug's. I put new Mesa preamp tubes back in.

Problem solved.

Ley me add my 2 cents here as well. I've got a 5:25+ that hisses a bit too much for me. Well above my other tube amp's hiss. Put a set of Doug's tubes in, and the hiss went down by about 40% or so. OK, good deal. Second gig out both channels start cutting in and out. Not good. Found a mode that worked OK so just used that and rode my volume knob the rest of the night. Made it through. The next day I found 2 of the 5 tubes bad.

So now I use Mesa SPAX7 tubes in V1 and V2, and a 12AT7 in the PI, and the amp is much, much quieter. Quieter than the Doug's Tubes set. It does sound better with NOS tubes in V1 and V2, but for recording and studio work the SPAX7 tubes go in.

Al

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:30 am 
Mark I

amrose57 wrote:
Ley me add my 2 cents here as well. I've got a 5:25+ that hisses a bit too much for me. Well above my other tube amp's hiss. Put a set of Doug's tubes in, and the hiss went down by about 40% or so. OK, good deal. Second gig out both channels start cutting in and out. Not good. Found a mode that worked OK so just used that and rode my volume knob the rest of the night. Made it through. The next day I found 2 of the 5 tubes bad.

So now I use Mesa SPAX7 tubes in V1 and V2, and a 12AT7 in the PI, and the amp is much, much quieter. Quieter than the Doug's Tubes set. It does sound better with NOS tubes in V1 and V2, but for recording and studio work the SPAX7 tubes go in.

Al

Interesting. Let me follow up on my previous post before yours (2 threads up): After I got my amp back from service with the ostensibly bad 2x Doug's preamp tubes and all seemed well, the amp started humming like mad again after a very short while, mostly on Ch2 with gain around 2-3pm and master around 1pm.

So in frustration this weekend I bought a COMPLETE Mesa retube (full set, instead of the swap-one/change-one routine), like you I bought 3x SPAX7 for V1-V2-V3 and 2x regular 12AX7 for V4-V5. Also a new set of matched EL34 power tubes (all Mesa). Started it up and for a few minutes thought everything was fine, the only sound being the quite loud hiss esp on Ch2. Hiss I can live with. Sort of. But sure enough within a random few minutes the hum/buzz comes back with a vengeance. This morning I turned the Ch2 Gain & Masters to around 2-3pm and the hum is incredibly loud. Not steady hum either, but roller coaster buzz, up, down, and in the middle. And now it seems to smell a bit too, so that's great.

I have taken it offline and have written a factory service request to Mesa. Either it's fried caps or something else but I'm up to close to $500 in new tubes & local Mesa service to absolutely no avail. I'd dump the amp and move on to something else except I can't sell it as is. I will probably send it to the factory and take that hit for a few hundred more rather than throw it in the dumpster and lose everything.

Pisses me off a bit :(

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:50 am 
Mark I

Mesa kindly called and issued me an RMA for my amp, hopefully it'll fix the buzz once and for all!

PostPosted: Fri Nov 04, 2016 3:55 pm 
Mark IV

alphasports wrote:
Mesa kindly called and issued me an RMA for my amp, hopefully it'll fix the buzz once and for all!

ok I been watching your troubles - not good.
This noise issue appears to be isolated to the 5:25 - the originals were more noisy than the Plus.
5:50s are quiet.

What's an RMA ?

As an aside I bought a Mark V 25 a few months ago and.............
this amp is very quiet even with loads more gain on tap than the Express :mrgreen:

Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2016 3:49 pm 
Mark I

Newysurfer wrote:
alphasports wrote:

This noise issue appears to be isolated to the 5:25 - the originals were more noisy than the Plus.

What's an RMA ?

this amp is very quiet even with loads more gain on tap than the Express :mrgreen:

RMA= Return Merchandise Authorization...just a requirement to send the amp back for a repair. They are going to do a complete check, but they think there is something definitely wrong.

Interesting about your V25...I've just got the bug for one myself :) Good to know they're quiet. I just bought a TA-15 for a great price but mostly because it's way cool; it lacks reverb and an fx loop but that's ok, it's a fun basement toy. Once the Express comes back I fear it will get sold right away anyway, with the cash going toward a V25, so the TA may be short lived as well as the V25 seems to do it all in a killer little package.

Cheers

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 6:40 am 
Mark IV

alphasports wrote:
Newysurfer wrote:
alphasports wrote:

What's an RMA ?

RMA= Return Merchandise Authorization...just a requirement to send the amp back for a repair. They are going to do a complete check, but they think there is something definitely wrong.

Interesting about your V25...I've just got the bug for one myself :) Good to know they're quiet. I just bought a TA-15 for a great price but mostly because it's way cool; it lacks reverb and an fx loop but that's ok, it's a fun basement toy. Once the Express comes back I fear it will get sold right away anyway, with the cash going toward a V25, so the TA may be short lived as well as the V25 seems to do it all in a killer little package.

Cheers

Well the Mark V 25 is better than any 5:25 imo for several reasons (including lower noise) but it's also THE best 25w amp ever made imo.
Comparing it to the 5:50 though is trickier.

I find the 5:50 cleans a little better and V 25 doesn't really have a blues channel - it does fat clean mode instead.
Fat clean is fabulous on the V 25 but you lose the Express blues voice to get it.

V 25 crunch voice has waaaaay more gain than 5:50 or 5:25 - I'd call V 25 & 5:50 equal there (both better than 5:25)
You can make V 25 crunch voice really brutal by pushing gain.

V 25 IIC+ and Mark IV distortion modes are significantly better than 5:50 burn imo & loads better than 5:25.
IIC+ voice is fabulous imo for a wide range of rock n blues.

V 25 also has headphones jack & DI line out.
But 5:50 has its reverb dials on front panel which I find more convenient than on back for V 25.

V 25 has the EQ option & its footswitchable but you lose the reverb foot switch on the Express

Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:31 am 
Mark II

Thanks Newysurfer for this appreciation. I'm interested in a V25. I actually have a 5:25+ and love it, especially the clean mode. How does the clean on the V25 compares with the 5:25+ ?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 15, 2016 10:19 pm 
Mark I

Mesa called to tell me they replaced a capacitor that was causing my probs, so I guess that's a good thing. Now I just have $300 worth of unnecessary replacement tubes sitting around (2 full sets). I guess that means I should play more...there's a concept!!!

Amp gets back next week, curious to try it out. May or may not get dumped, I'm loving my new-to-me Transatlantic 15 :)

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:08 am 
Mark IV

GuyB wrote:
Thanks Newysurfer for this appreciation. I'm interested in a V25. I actually have a 5:25+ and love it, especially the clean mode. How does the clean on the V25 compares with the 5:25+ ?

Well imo V 25 clean is better than 5:25 or 5:25+.
Plus V 25 has 2 great clean voices - clean + fat clean.
All 3 amps have EL84 tubes.

5:50 has 6L6 tubes and cleans & reverb are very similar to Lonestar Classic - both these are very Fender sounding imo.
Very Fendery cleans except better than most Fenders imo :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Wed Nov 23, 2016 2:10 am 
Mark IV

alphasports wrote:
Mesa called to tell me they replaced a capacitor that was causing my probs, so I guess that's a good thing. Now I just have $300 worth of unnecessary replacement tubes sitting around (2 full sets). I guess that means I should play more...there's a concept!!!

Amp gets back next week, curious to try it out. May or may not get dumped, I'm loving my new-to-me Transatlantic 15 :)

Well great you got it fixed finally and you'll use those tubes on one amp or another in the future so not $$ wasted :mrgreen: