5:50 Express + - Cab or Combo?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andynorth14

Reaction score
Hey to all - new to the Board here - Christmas bonus coming up and I'm salivating at the prospect of a 5:50 Express + but wondering about pros and cons of a combo vs. head/cab. I'm currently on a Fender BDRI (with Weber attenuator), almost all home and garage band playing - no gigging (yet!). The price difference here in Canada is about $500 - is the cab worth it for tone/sound alone? Would welcome your thoughts/experience.

thanks

Most people feel that separate head and cab is better. Better sound and the amp components are better protected from vibration from the speaker. It's only more flexible in terms of locating the two things in different places. When I am recording I like doing things like putting the cab in the bathroom but having the head next to me to adjust the tone.

The 5:50 Combo is very heavy and it has no castors.
This is why i purchased a head with a separate cab.

Apart from moving things around easier, you can choose from a variety of cabs and speakers and easily change them.
I leave one 2x12" in my rehearsal room and take the head home with me when i´m done.
The only downside: Its much harder to tilt a cab with a head on it.
With a combo this can easily be done.

+1 on the head/cab. I have a 2x12 Avatar vintage cab that is awesome paired with the 5:50+ head. It is loaded with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30.

I'm going to give a different opinion. The combo can be carried with one hand. It's easier to transport one item, especially if space is limited. Also, having a combo doesn't tie you down to only using the built-in speaker. It's still the same amp chassis with the same speaker outputs.

FlamencoD said:
+1 on the head/cab. I have a 2x12 Avatar vintage cab that is awesome paired with the 5:50+ head. It is loaded with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30.

2x12 cab with a Vintage 30 and a G12T75 with my 5:50+ head is my favourite, I've also a 1x12 cab with a Vintage 30. Both cabs are closed back almost. The 1x12 has a single 5 inch port on the back - the 2x12 has two ports.

Used the 2x12 with the 5:50+ at a jam session the other week. One of my friends used it to do a couple of Pink Floyd numbers, no pedals, blues channel, he finished his set, threw his pick at me in passing, called my parentage into question and growled "that is f*****g awesome dude" :) He usually plays a Rivera combo.

Steve

Thanks to all who replied - went with the combo for now and an extension cab later if I get to arena-sized gigs :) Its sitting in the trunk of my car waiting for the end of the day - woot!!

Back