Express plus 5:50 or Mark V:25?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

schwa6970

Reaction score
I am currently saving for what was definately going to be The Express. Now that this new Mark is out for the same price I am having a hard time deciding. I play all kinds of music and need a very versatile amp crystal cleans and pretty extreme O.D. . preferably without pedals . This being my first Boogie and nowhere local to A/B them Im in a kind of bind here. Any thoughts?

schwa6970 said:
I am currently saving for what was definately going to be The Express. Now that this new Mark is out for the same price I am having a hard time deciding. I play all kinds of music and need a very versatile amp crystal cleans and pretty extreme O.D. . preferably without pedals . This being my first Boogie and nowhere local to A/B them Im in a kind of bind here. Any thoughts?

Depends how much clean headroom there is on the 25? Tons of it on a 5:50 plus on 50watts which was my main reason for buying one.

Steve

Pilotltd said:
schwa6970 said:

Depends how much clean headroom there is on the 25? Tons of it on a 5:50 plus on 50watts which was my main reason for buying one.

Steve

Agreed.
I wish the GC in Durham NC would get these in. They never have had a Boogie on display since I have lived in NC so that is probably wishful thinking only a couple Egnaters, Occasional Tiny Terror and some Marshalls.

schwa6970 said:
Pilotltd said:
schwa6970 said:

Steve

Agreed.
I wish the GC in Durham NC would get these in. They never have had a Boogie on display since I have lived in NC so that is probably wishful thinking only a couple Egnaters, Occasional Tiny Terror and some Marshalls.

GC is not an authorized Mesa dealer. In Durham you should check with:

Sound Pure
808 Washington St.
Durham, NC 27701
(919) 682-5552

Thanks!

GC sells nothing but crap these days. Mesa dropped them a while ago. Definitely go elsewhere if you want good quality high end stuff.

I have the 5:50+ and love it. My Dad just got the Mark 5:25 and he loves it. I haven't had a chance to play it because he lives 2000 miles away. However, I'll be visiting him next week for Thanksgiving, so I'll be trying it then! I have a feeling you can't go wrong with either.

If you want pretty extreme OD without pedals get the Mark 25. I sold my 5:50+ to pay for a Mark 25 and I had them both side by side for a couple of weeks. The Mark has more gain and in my opinion better sounding gain. The 5:50+ is an excellent bluesy sounding amp. It took me a bit but I did get the fat channel on the Mark to match the tone I had dialed in on the 5:50+ blues channel. The cleans are just as sweet on the little Mark but it obviously doesn't have the clean headroom of the 50 watt Express.

Yesterday i sold my 5:50+ custom and im very sad, didn't expect to feel so bad looking it walk out the door.... but it was all for the sake of getting the Mark 5:25 and the 1X12 Recto cab.

The Express is a killer amp for someone that is not expecting huge amounts of gain but rather a great crunch and blues feel with fat cleans, i was expecting a lot of gain on tap but thats just not what the express was design for and i had to compensate with a pedal, any ways its all done with and now i will have to wait for the Mini Mark to come home.

Good bye Express we had great times.

I've now spent a few hours playing the Mark V 25 through a 1x12 cab with ports, and a Celestion Greenback. I wouldn't sell my Express Plus 5:50 (I've only played it with my 2x12 Avatar cab with a Vintage 30 and a G12H30) for the Mark V 25...however, the Mark V 25 was pretty awesome. I prefer the bigger piano-like bass of the 5:50+ clean channel. I really liked the IIC+ mode, that was a great solo mode, esp with humbuckers.

schwa6970 said:

Whats the price difference between the 2 amps ? and........
Do you really need a 50w amp - do you need the extra clean headroom for gigging?
If you're a home player exclusively I'd say probably not.
The Mark will do higher gain - do you need very high gain from an amp.

Can't answer your Q without more info :mrgreen:

Both are great home amps. The 5:50+ has the five watt mode and a more gradual sweep on its master volume. The Mini Mark has a more touchy master volume.

Sorry its been a while that I have posted. I want to thank all of you for your input. I am happy to say that I ordered a 5:25 with a Gold grill and brown leather trim(Handle,corners). I am getting real anxious. Im expecting it mid April. :D

You have chosen.........wisely.

Playing on Xtreme mode through a 2x12 cab with the volume cranked a bit and you'd swear there was 4 6l6's in there. F@#$%$ing loud man!

schwa6970 said:
Sorry its been a while that I have posted. I want to thank all of you for your input. I am happy to say that I ordered a 5:25 with a Gold grill and brown leather trim(Handle,corners). I am getting real anxious. Im expecting it mid April. :D

Cool!! I've got a 5:25+ that rips. I just wish I could open it up some. As ryjan said - it's frickin' loud!!!

Al

I have owned the Express 5:50+ for nearly two years now and without a doubt it is the best amp overall that I have owned in the past 4+ decades. The Crunch channel is the best of its kind. I am less crazy about the Clean channel though, but when I need that sparkly Vox sound I use Channel one on my TA-15. Listening on YouTube I would say that the Mark V:25 is a great amp - I do have a deposit on one and have been waiting for them to arrive here in Hong Kong. The only reservation I have on the mini Mark is regarding the touchy Master volume control that I have seen reported here. most of my guitar playing is done in my apartment, so I can't really crank it up much.

Back