WGS Speaker For 5:50 (non plus)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
Has anyone tried WGS speakers in their (non plus) Express 5:50 combo? I still haven't found a speaker that I'm completely sold on for that amp. I love the MC90 Black Shadow (in a 23" LoneStar cab) that I'm using with my 5:50+ head, but to me, the C90 sounds a little thin... sometimes harsh in the upper mids/highs in my combo. I realize that there are differences in the two amp circuits and the fact that it's two slightly different cab configurations, but, if possible, I would like to get the combo closer to sounding like the 5:50+ head/cab setup. To me, the contrast between the C90 in the combo and the same speaker in the head/cab setup is that the C90 sounds very full, round, and smooth in the head/cab, whereas the same speaker sounds just a little "thin" and harsh in the combo.

I'm looking at two WGS speakers: ET 65 and ET 90. Has anyone tried either of these (or other WGS speakers)?

~Thanks!!!

Gotammo said:
I use a Reaper HP for my non-plus 5:50. It's very versatile.

I thought about trying a Reaper, but I was afraid it might be too similar tho the stock MC90 Black Shadow. Plus, I wanted something with a lighter magnet.

I went ahead and bought an ET65. Fortunately their speakers (except for the alnico's) are reasonably priced and I can experiment a little. The ET 65 arrived late this afternoon and I had some time to install it, but not enough time to seriously put it through its paces at anywhere near stage volume. I can;t really judge a speaker until it has some hours on it with the amp "pushed". So far the cleans sound good, but I couldn't tell how my Blues/Burn settings will sound at my "normal" practice volumes. I understand these break in fairly soon.

My initial thoughts are that it has a lot of potential.

Cool. I thought about getting one of those. Be sure to let us know how it does after break in.

Gotammo said:
Cool. I thought about getting one of those. Be sure to let us know how it does after break in.

OK... I have about 20 hours on the ET 65 (in my 5:50 non plus combo). I assume there is quite a bit more that this speaker will "break in". In that brief 20 hours, I've heard a significant change (improvement) in tone with this speaker. The highs (and lows) are much smoother. Although it isn't quite as loud as the MC90 Black Shadow, it has a much "richer" tone. In comparison, the C90 sounds a little harsh on both ends of the spectrum. My C90s sound identical; one is over a year old, the other is 10 months old - with lots of play time on both of them. By contrast, the ET65's highs and high mids are somewhat rolled off, but that works for me because it makes the controls on my guitars more sensitive. On my Strat I can make the highs sound smooth and sweet without being "spiky". If I roll those highs off, they sound "diminished" without sounding muffled.

I'm going to leave this ET65 in the combo and get one more fore my LoneStar 23" cab... more reports to follow.

I very much like the ET65 & V30 setup I have for my Express 5:25+ although I have yet to try the ET65 with my Fuchs.

Back to square one... I've reinstalled the original MC90 Black Shadow in my non-plus combo and put the ET-65 in my FENDER DRRI.* After putting a few more hours on the ET-65 it didn't quite hold up (tone wise) to the original speaker. I have to qualify that though. I had the original MC90 re-coned last fall and that changed the character of the speaker somewhat. After a short break in period, the re-coned MC90 seems to be what this amp needed. I won't say that the ET65 sounded bad, it just didn't sound "right" for this amp.

The stock MC90s in my LoneStar cabs will remain in place. Once broken in, they sound great.

*FENDER DRRI + WGS ET65 = a great pairing. I have no need to clip the bright cap.

Back