New Express Plus 5:50 vs Used Mark V

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JD65

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

Just purchased my second Boogie, a brand new, 5:50 Express Plus.

But....

Now seeing that I could have got a mint, used Mark V or about the same $$$$. (Options about on Ebay)

If you had the choice to make in this regard, what would you choose and why?

Any help appreciated,
JD

JD65 said:
Hi Folks,

But....

Now seeing that I could have got a mint, used Mark V or about the same $$$$. (Options about on Ebay)

Any help appreciated,
JD

What kind of music do you play? What are you going for? Jack of all trades? The Mk V definitely has more options but my 5:25+ has every level of gain I would need. Do you need the 90 watts for live use? If not, have you considered a Mk V:25 that's shipping to dealers soon?

jazzphan89:

Very good questions!

Q: What kind of music do you play?
A: Rock & Blues, a lot of variety in those genres

What are you going for? Jack of all trades?
A: Yes, too some degree. Want the gain variations and versatility. I have a .22 Caliber that doesn't have the headroom for outdoor/large room gigs. The ability for 50 watts in the 5:50 is good but a 10/45/90 Watt amp? Oh baby, now that's covering some ground! I've used a Twin Reverb for decades because 100 watts covers any outdoor need for clean tones - using high end, pedal-driven gain when needed - but frankly, am getting too old to be picking up that 80+ beast on an even, semi-regular, basis.

JD65 said:
jazzphan89:

Very good questions!

Q: What kind of music do you play?
A: Rock & Blues, a lot of variety in those genres

What are you going for? Jack of all trades?
A: Yes, too some degree. Want the gain variations and versatility. I have a .22 Caliber that doesn't have the headroom for outdoor/large room gigs. The ability for 50 watts in the 5:50 is good but a 10/45/90 Watt amp? Oh baby, now that's covering some ground! I've used a Twin Reverb for decades because 100 watts covers any outdoor need for clean tones - using high end, pedal-driven gain when needed - but frankly, am getting too old to be picking up that 80+ beast on an even, semi-regular, basis.

Thanks! For me, a big part of getting my Express was to have the high gain tones available if the project or situation ever called for it. I play a lot of funk and jazz, so the cleaner and light gain leans better for that stuff. For me though, having and not needing is better than needing and not having. It seems like the Mark V would cover a lot of your bases, are you set on getting a combo or a head/cab setup? That would help divide the weight, but those beastly transformers are still there haha. Do you mic your amp at those gigs? The MkV:25 on paper with the cabclone looks very appealing and you could run it through the PA, saving on the weight but at a cost of headroom and "total" versatility of the bigger brother.

I own both. I would take the Mark V over the Express every day. Every tone, every type of gain is better on the MV. It is the flagship amp. For the same $$, if I could only have one or the other, I wouldn't hesitate. Mark V wins.

Thanks babow2. Question: Do you own a 5:50 Express Plus or 5:25 Express Plus?

I get what you're saying about the richer/more high quality gain tones but would imagine the 50 Watt max setting is a little different than 25 Watt max setting.

express 5:50 every-time it has a wider range then the V better clean channel more organic express is more vintage tones which are killer for everything except metal IMHO also the 5:50 1x12 combo is a fantastic sounding light weight combo.

JD65 said:
Hi Folks,

But....

Any help appreciated,
JD

Its a no brainer for me, the Mark V its just a better far superior amplifier, i had one some years ago and had to sell it i now own the 5:50+ and its a great sounding amp, but not as versatile as the Mark V and definitely not the same gain structure, i do feel the Express need more gain, cleaner gain. I do find my self many times using a overdrive/booster to achieve the same gain power i achieve on a mark v with no pedals.

I own the 5:50+ and love it - a lot. But I'd rather have the Mark V; it was just out of my price range and I didn't think about looking at used ones (oops) as I tend to prefer to pay a little more for new gear. As versatile as the 5:50+ is (and it is very versatile), the Mark V covers even more ground. If you found a used V that was still under warranty for about the price of a new 5:50+, I'd go w/ the Mark V. That said, I'm never left wishing for more with my 5:50+, it is awesome, too.

Latest posts

Back