Express 5:25+ head to combo conversion question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzphan89

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of converting my Express 5:25+ head into a 1x12 combo for grab n' go options. I was contacting Mesa, and they quoted me $400 for an Express 1x12 cab. :cry:

They also said that the original express chassis is the same chassis for the Express + series. Have any of you done this mod, or can confirm MB? I'm almost positive they're correct, but it's nice hearing from two different sources.

Thanks

Tom

jazzphan89 said:
Hi all,

I'm toying with the idea of converting my Express 5:25+ head into a 1x12 combo for grab n' go options. I was contacting Mesa, and they quoted me $400 for an Express 1x12 cab. :cry:

They also said that the original express chassis is the same chassis for the Express + series. Have any of you done this mod, or can confirm MB? I'm almost positive they're correct, but it's nice hearing from two different sources.

Thanks

Tom

I did the opposite -- that is, I switched from a combo to a head; and it was an Express 5:50+ not a 5:25+. It went well; the chassis fit fine (so I assume it would work the other way). One caveat is that they will probably suggest that you buy the reverb tank in the cabinet, because if I recall right the reverb tank assembly is a little different between the two models. It may be easier to deal with going to a combo than from combo to head.

I assume they will provide the speaker too, which if memory serves is the Fillmore on the 5:25.

hydro said:
jazzphan89 said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Tom

I did the opposite -- that is, I switched from a combo to a head; and it was an Express 5:50+ not a 5:25+. It went well; the chassis fit fine (so I assume it would work the other way). One caveat is that they will probably suggest that you buy the reverb tank in the cabinet, because if I recall right the reverb tank assembly is a little different between the two models. It may be easier to deal with going to a combo than from combo to head.

I assume they will provide the speaker too, which if memory serves is the Fillmore on the 5:25.

Thanks for the reply man, I spoke with Mesa and they quoted me $400 for a 1x12 with a Fillmore and the reverb tank. I think it's a little pricey for what I'm asking and to be honest the head is 90% of what I want. I could stand the extra trip for the 1x12 cab if it means I save the cash! Besides, A Subway Rocket is in my sights for impromptu jams.

jazzphan89 said:
hydro said:
jazzphan89 said:
Hi all,

Thanks

Tom

Thanks for the reply man, I spoke with Mesa and they quoted me $400 for a 1x12 with a Fillmore and the reverb tank. I think it's a little pricey for what I'm asking and to be honest the head is 90% of what I want. I could stand the extra trip for the 1x12 cab if it means I save the cash! Besides, A Subway Rocket is in my sights for impromptu jams.

Yeah, you know to be honest I have come to really prefer separate head configurations both because of weight and flexibility, because you can drive any size cab with one of those heads, even a 4x12. The Subway Rocket sounds cool! Good luck with your rig --

Seems like a lot of work to do for something that is already made. Why not just sell it or trade it and buy a combo?

Jazzphan89, if you go through with the conversion, I would purchase the head shell from you. This would at least make the swap easier on the wallet.

Hey everyone so I think I am just going to sell the Express 5:25+ and try to find a grab n go combo that would work for me. I was offered the Subway Rocket + $400 for my Express head, which honestly wouldn't be too far off financially as well as crossing off the checks in what I need for an amp.

Thanks,

Latest posts

Back