torn between crunch and clean

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jamme61

Reaction score
read here how people are using Blues mode on their express amps for clean and crunch for their dirty over the top. Tried it- like it but miss that beautiful clean sound - what to do. How many running blue clean to Crunch? I don't like burn setting at all

jamme61 said:
read here how people are using Blues mode on their express amps for clean and crunch for their dirty over the top. Tried it- like it but miss that beautiful clean sound - what to do. How many running blue clean to Crunch? I don't like burn setting at all

Yeah I do it occasionally - what exactly are you asking about it ?

I used blues for clean and crunch for dirty a lot when I had my 5:50. I really liked the clean for clean better, though.

I would've been happier if the amp just had the clean and crunch modes.

Newysurfer said:
jamme61 said:

Yeah I do it occasionally - what exactly are you asking about it ?

Good question I guess I'm just trying to see how most people are using the different modes on the amp
I could see using the clean with a pedal to get the crunch too. It would be great to have all the modes assignable to whatever channel . Just got the amp so figuring it out and just thinking or posting out loud. Thanks for any feedback

A lot of people have asked over the years if it'd be possible to modify the amp to footswitch between clean and crunch and why Mesa didn't do that in the first place. I'm sure it could be done (and probably has), but I feel like the volume difference between modes would be too much to compensate for unless more knobs were added to the amp. Switching between clean and crunch modes would probably involve compromises like the old Marks and Studios.

Right now I'm using Clean for my clean and Blues for my overdrive. I'm also using Suhr Riot Reloaded and Keeley Red Dirt pedals on either channel for different levels and flavors of crunch.

jmontgomery said:
Right now I'm using Clean for my clean and Blues for my overdrive. I'm also using Suhr Riot Reloaded and Keeley Red Dirt pedals on either channel for different levels and flavors of crunch.

Yea this seems like the best way for me too. Love the clean channel on this amp. Most all my overdrive pedals sound good on this amp. For band practice today went clean and blues mode with a vox ice overdrive- cheap pedal worked great

jamme61 said:

To me, "clean" sounds very different (and much better) on the 25W setting than on 50w. So I run mine clean in 25 watt at about 10-11 o'clock on the master volume, and then "burn" on 50 watt mode at 9 o'clock.

I lent my amp to a guy this weekend for a show, and he used "crunch" on the clean channel with some gain and it sounded amazing. For me, i get a similar effect by using a tubescreamer on my board with the gain turned down and the output level boosted, that way I can still get back to the nice cleans from my pedalboard and also have way more gain on tap from channel 2 on "burn". I agree that the "burn" mode on channel 2 takes some tweaking to get right (for me, I had to turn the bass down and raise treble, which was counterintuitive) but now I get a nice stoner rock sludge out of it with good midrange growl and I have grown used to it.

I plan on experimenting with the "crunch" mode some more though, because it sounded so good when I heard this other guy using it.

Been running my 5:25 using Blues for clean with gain at about 9:30, just when I hear it start to warm up a bit. Crunch with gain at about 1 o'clock. That works great for 95% of what we play, the couple of songs I need really clean I just reach back and flip the switch on the Crunch to Clean. You can mess with your amp during the gig guys!!

jamme61 said:

Can we clarify if you have a 5:50 or 5:25.
The 2 amps sound quite different & no-one can say anything useful imo if you don't know what amp it is.
Comments about a 5:25 from a 5:50 owner are nearly always irrelevant & vice versa :mrgreen:

I use burn mode of my 5:25+ and set the gain low, and with the EQ I can get D-style tones. I am ABing the Express and my Fuchs and it gets pretty close.

I use burn mode of my 5:25+ and set the gain low, and with the EQ I can get D-style tones. I am ABing the Express and my Fuchs and it gets pretty close.

Have to try that one!

Stinger22 said:

Have to try that one!

I guarantee you'll like it! I was on the fence about this amp, but it kicks all the asses.

I have a 5:50 express 1x12 combo
I'm now back to clean with the gain at 12oclock and using burn with the gain at 9
Still finding my way thanks for all the info

I have a 5:50+. I love the clean channel as well. I prefer it over the blues channel "clean" mode (gain at 9 o'clock, mids down). I think the key is you have to turn the mids down to about 9 o'clock when using blues for clean (the manual discusses this). Also try setting the preset EQ at around 10-11 o'clock with the mids around 11 o'clock, and gain at 9 or so. Also, the volume difference between clean and crunch isn't that significant and I switch those during a show (between songs) all the time. However, the volume difference between blues and burn is massive, so I never use the blues setting during a live performance. The EQ settings I prefer for the blues channel are different than what I use for Burn, so it isn't easy to switch live.

Back