EQ Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Rabinowitz

Reaction score
Hi All:

I am wondering what the interrelationship between the regular EQ controls and the 5 band equalizer is. Does one defeat or override the other? How do they interact together? Is it self defeating if you cut the regular mid control but boost it on the 5 band? Any information along those lines greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

The tone controls are in the preamp similar to a traditional amp like an old Fender. The GEQ is between the preamp and the power amp like the effects loop. They work with each other, though very differently. The GEQ can be used for subtle tweaking of the sound where the tone controls leave off or for more radical tone shaping an gain boosting.
For instance, I don't like the honky mids in the lead channel of my DC3 so I leave the GEQ on with the mids scooped in the lead channel. The gain that I remove in the mids is put back with the highs and lows so there's only a slight increase in gain.

Now that I have a DC3 with GEQ I wish my Studio .22+ had it!

OK, so there is an interrelationship though. What's happened in the preamp would obviously affect what you do heading into the power amp, correct? Thanks!

The problem comes with the addition of distortion, also called overdrive, clipping, or just "gain".
When you start increasing gain in a preamp, it's generally best to decrease the amount of bass available for distorting, as too much bass being amplified to the point of clipping sounds "flubby", tubby, indistinct, not punchy, doesn't cut through the mix, etc.
This is how a Tube Screamer works. You may have heard these pedals have a "mid-hump". Actually, they can't boost the mids, they can only cut the bass and treble, which sounds exactly the same as a boost in the midrange to the human ear. Science!
This enables the guitar sound to cut through the bass and drums. Guitar lives in the midrange.
But, many bedroom players prefer a fuller sound with more scooped mids, and more bass and more treble, because, when playing alone, this tends to result in less ear fatigue. The mids can get strident.
Having additional EQ available *after* the preamp gain enables a tighter, more focused sound, as the bass is not being clipped, but added back in after the distortion happens.

I have a plus with the EQ but find I use the main tone controls to get my overall sound and then just use the Preset Depth control to fine tune. It's like the Trim control on my Super Blues Pro which shapes the low and high curve in relation to the mids.

Stinger22 said:
I have a plus with the EQ but find I use the main tone controls to get my overall sound and then just use the Preset Depth control to fine tune. It's like the Trim control on my Super Blues Pro which shapes the low and high curve in relation to the mids.

How does the Super blues pro sound with your Express+? Do you use it to bluesy up the clean channel or to add some extra grit on the gain channel?

STP said:
Stinger22 said:

How does the Super blues pro sound with your Express+? Do you use it to bluesy up the clean channel or to add some extra grit on the gain channel?

Works great, I use it on the Blues channel which I use for clean. It is mostly on. Using an asymmetrical clipping and gain at about 12:30. Gives me some nice OD. The Soul Food everyone is raving about didn't replace it. The eq on the thing is really unique and usable.

MrMarkIII said:
The problem comes with the addition of distortion, also called overdrive, clipping, or just "gain".
When you start increasing gain in a preamp, it's generally best to decrease the amount of bass available for distorting, as too much bass being amplified to the point of clipping sounds "flubby", tubby, indistinct, not punchy, doesn't cut through the mix, etc.
This is how a Tube Screamer works. You may have heard these pedals have a "mid-hump". Actually, they can't boost the mids, they can only cut the bass and treble, which sounds exactly the same as a boost in the midrange to the human ear. Science!
This enables the guitar sound to cut through the bass and drums. Guitar lives in the midrange.
But, many bedroom players prefer a fuller sound with more scooped mids, and more bass and more treble, because, when playing alone, this tends to result in less ear fatigue. The mids can get strident.
Having additional EQ available *after* the preamp gain enables a tighter, more focused sound, as the bass is not being clipped, but added back in after the distortion happens.

agree that's whats so cool about the eq its after the preamp so you can add the the bass back and not get the flub very important useful feature IMHO.

Latest posts

Back