Alternate CAB & Speaker choices for Express 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melodiusthunk

Reaction score
I am in the process of converting my rig from an Express 5:50 1 X 12 combo into an Express 5:50 plus head and 1 X 12 cab; my default cab choice is the 23" widebody Lonestar with the C90 speaker. Before I commit to this cab, I wonder if anyone running an Express 5:50 has ever found another speaker-cab combination that they liked as well or better with this amp?

I'm especially curious about the possibility of running a 1 X 12 partially-closed back cab or even a ported cab (think Port City OS or Forte 3D as examples); something that would ideally preserves some of the wide soundstage an open back cab gives, with less sensitivity to placement near adjacent walls & room corners.

Thanks in advance to all who respond,

Scott

melodiusthunk said:
I am in the process of converting my rig from an Express 5:50 1 X 12 combo into an Express 5:50 plus head and 1 X 12 cab; my default cab choice is the 23" widebody Lonestar with the C90 speaker. Before I commit to this cab, I wonder if anyone running an Express 5:50 has ever found another speaker-cab combination that they liked as well or better with this amp?

I'm especially curious about the possibility of running a 1 X 12 partially-closed back cab or even a ported cab (think Port City OS or Forte 3D as examples); something that would ideally preserves some of the wide soundstage an open back cab gives, with less sensitivity to placement near adjacent walls & room corners.

Thanks in advance to all who respond,

Scott

I did exactly the same thing. I ended up getting a custom cab made by Stone Age Custom Cabinets.
https://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/

This is my cab - it was made custom with a slant baffle.
https://www.stoneagecustomcabinets.com/uploads/1x12_tilt_top.jpg

The cab is excellent and I just re-used the C90 that my combo came with, as I really liked it (Stone Age send me the cab unloaded). Stone Age makes excellent quality stuff and John is a super nice guy. The cab is partly open and he can give you the panel so you can close it if you want to.

One caveat is that the 5:50+ is a little wider than this 1x12 cab, so it will look a bit top heavy but it still fits on there fine. I did have to relocate the rubber feet on my head chassis in order to make it fit well, but this was easy to do.

I MUCH prefer the head configuration to the combo, as it is lighter and less bulky, and gives me the flexibility to go 1x12 for small gigs or my "quieter" band, and 4x12 through a new Recto trad. slant I bought with C90s in it, for the loud band. I am really happy with this combination.

Latest posts

Back