Does anyone use the Blues channel on the 5:50+ ?

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Grandor, ned, Guitarzan, Platypus

tremolo arm
Bottle Rocket

Does anyone use the Blues channel on the 5:50+ ?

Post by tremolo arm » Mon Aug 04, 2014 6:15 am

Whilst I think the Crunch channel is really musical and bouncy, the Blues channel feels really odd "under my fingers" - it's almost as if there is some sort of latency between when I hit the strings and when I get a response. Also I can't really get a setting which offers anything different or better than any of the other channels.

I play mainly single coil guitars - PRS 305 and Fender Strat and Tele...

Has anyone found a useful sound out of the Blues channel?

Carter
Bottle Rocket

Re: Does anyone use the Blues channel on the 5:50+ ?

Post by Carter » Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:29 am

Ive only had my 5:50+ a couple of weeks and have got nice tones from the blues channel. Ive gigged it over the last few weekends and I am really pleased with the tone. I only use PRS - A McCarty and a Custom 22
Mesa Boogie Express 5:50
Marshall1973 Superbass
Marshall Class 5
Marshall AVT150
Proamplifier VSQ65
PRS Custom 22
PRS McCarty
USA Strats

Newysurfer
Mark IV

Post by Newysurfer » Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:43 pm

tremolo arm wrote:Whilst I think the Crunch channel is really musical and bouncy, the Blues channel feels really odd "under my fingers" - it's almost as if there is some sort of latency between when I hit the strings and when I get a response. Also I can't really get a setting which offers anything different or better than any of the other channels.

I play mainly single coil guitars - PRS 305 and Fender Strat and Tele...

Has anyone found a useful sound out of the Blues channel?
The blues channel on both the old 5:50 and the new Plus are almost the same and both are quite excellent imo.
I've used it extensively at home, practice & gigging with many types of guitars & pedals.
It's great with single coils, humbuckers, filtertrons & P90's imo.
The blues channel is very versatile and can be used on low gain as a clean tone right thru to mid gain overdrive.
Also sounds fantastic as a booster for fuzz and distortion pedals also.
But like all voices on the 5:50 you need to keep the bass dial under 11 oclock
Great on most EQ settings the blues channel has always been a winner imo :mrgreen:
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

Stinger22
Mark II

Post by Stinger22 » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:44 am

I use the Blues channel on my 5:25 as my normal channel with the gain at the point you just hear it start to warm up a little. Then I have channel 1 on Crunch with gain at about 1 oclock which is the max gain I ever use, even pedals through the clean don't get much dirtier. On a couple of songs I need absolutely clean and just flipping the switch on channel one to Clean does the trick.

jmontgomery
Mark III

Post by jmontgomery » Thu Aug 07, 2014 10:24 am

Stinger22 wrote:I use the Blues channel on my 5:25 as my normal channel with the gain at the point you just hear it start to warm up a little. Then I have channel 1 on Crunch with gain at about 1 oclock which is the max gain I ever use, even pedals through the clean don't get much dirtier. On a couple of songs I need absolutely clean and just flipping the switch on channel one to Clean does the trick.
I use mine much the same way.
Jeff M.

melodiusthunk
Mark I

Post by melodiusthunk » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:42 pm

what Newy said.

amrose57
Mark II

Post by amrose57 » Sun Aug 17, 2014 6:13 pm

Stinger22 wrote:I use the Blues channel on my 5:25 as my normal channel with the gain at the point you just hear it start to warm up a little. Then I have channel 1 on Crunch with gain at about 1 oclock which is the max gain I ever use, even pedals through the clean don't get much dirtier. On a couple of songs I need absolutely clean and just flipping the switch on channel one to Clean does the trick.
I flip between using the Blues as my clean and crunch as my OD, or Clean as my clean and Blues as my OD. I like them both ways. Add a Fluxdrive, Zendrive, and Mythical Overdrive and I'm pretty much covered for everything. :mrgreen:

Al

STP
Bottle Rocket

Post by STP » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:00 pm

I use the clean channel as super clean (50w) and channel 2 on blues with the gain set to about 2 o'clock on 5w at home and 25w for gigs. I use a boost/low gain overdrive to take it into Hard rock territory and that seems to work well.

Dave B
Mark I

Post by Dave B » Sun Nov 23, 2014 11:19 pm

I run a VP in the loop to act as a Global MV, and set both channel's MVs at about halfway up. Using the VP to lower the volume to what I need at the moment for teaching to late-night practicing, at low to whisper-quiet volume levels, the Blues mode with the gain at 1 o'clock in the 50W setting lets my myriad of both overdrive and fuzz pedals think that they are pushing a cranked high-wattage amp, both sound and feel-wise. Caveat: I haven't had as much luck, though, trying to apply the same concept to my Keely DS-1, though it works great for my Guv'nor and new issue Budda Zenman.

Without pedals, I think the Blues mode does a decent cranked Tweed impersonation, if you set the gain a little higher.
LP Std w/ Dimarzio EJs, Michael Kelley Patriot Custom
Tube Driver, Keeley DS-1, London Fuzz, HBE Germania, MXR SuperComp, A/DA Flanger, EHX Knockout, Snarling Dogs Very-Tone, Zoom G2R
Palomino V32 1x12, Valvetrain Tallboy 205 1x12, Express 5:50 1x12

FlamencoD
Mark I

Post by FlamencoD » Mon Nov 24, 2014 2:40 pm

I like the blues mode, I use it for a light overdrive at home, but usually have to tweak the Treb/Mid/Bass and preset EQ when compared to Burn because there is a certain frequency that is too mid-heavy to me that I EQ out. Once that's out, I like Blues mode quite a bit. Really enjoy the light overdrive you can get with it. When playing live, however, I don't really use blues because of the volume change between blues and burn - it causes me to have to adjust the master on the fly for Ch. 2, which I don't want to have to do. When I need slightly overdriven tone live, I'll turn the gain down on crunch mode to about 10 or 10:30 (down usually from about 11:30 or 12) and roll back the volume a bit to get a nice light break-up. That has less effect on overall volume than switching between blues and burn.

St.John
Bottle Rocket

Post by St.John » Fri Nov 28, 2014 10:45 am

My experience of the Blues channel on a 5:25+ is at low volumes it can be middy / nasal with a Strat, even with the mid all the way down, but once you go past 11 o'clock with the master the mids back off.

HK Expat
Mark I

Post by HK Expat » Sat Nov 29, 2014 5:24 am

I use only humbucker guitars, but have also found that the Blues channel has this nasal midrange that is difficult to correct even with the 5-band. I also like a bit more drive/gain for blues solos and don't really like the break-up in Blues mode. However, the 5:50+ is my favorite amp overall. What works well for me is to switch between Crunch and Burn. On the Crunch channel I dial the Gain to around 12:00 to 1:00 so that it cleans up nicely when I roll off the volume pot on the guitar. For medium gain solos I leave it in Crunch and crank the guitar volume, juse like we did in the old days with the Marshall Plexi's. The Burn channel is only when I need a lot of sustain or playing fast passages for which I want a more fluid sound.

For a real genuine Blues sound, I use the TA-15. Channel 1 in master volume mode and Channel 2 in Hi1 mode both have the balance between clean and break-up that I need.
HK Expat

Gear:
Mesa Mark V:25
Express 5:50+
RA-15
Various Cabs
Peavey Roadmaster
1965 ES335
1965 Firebird VII
1970 Les Paul Custom
1986 Larivee Custom Made
1967 Telecaster Rebuild