5:25 or TA-30 combo for bedroom levels ?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TonyDee

Reaction score
Hi,
Need some advice since I don't have a Mesa dealer near me.
I'm in the market for a lightweight combo that can be moved around the house with ease and be played at bedroom volume. It's between
the 5:25(45 lbs) and TA-30 (47 lbs).
Does the 5:25 sound ok at a low volume ? How about the TA-30 ?
Of course, I'll occasionally be gigging with the amp also :)
Thanks
Tony

I don't know the TA, but my 5:25 head attached to a 2 X 12 cabinet is pretty loud, even at 5 watts. You might want to look at the cab clone.

The Transatlantics need to be opened up a bit before they really sound good. I can get very good sounds out of my 5:50+ at low volumes.

You're never going to get the sound of 20+ watts really pushing into a room let alone 40-60 watts at a bedroom level. That being said two options, a very low wattage amp or a modeling amp. My Mustang III was good at it but just not the same. My Express 5:25 Plus at 5 watts is better. Yes I can get some good drive out of it at low volumes which is one reason I got it, but I also gig with it and at 25 watts it opens up, even at some small clubs at 15 watts the headroom difference is noticeable. So don't expect the sound of a LOUD amp at low volume just because of the lower wattage, but definitely bedroom enjoyable.

I have had both amps. At the lowest power settings, you can get better tones from the Express than from the TA. The TA does need to open up to get its best tones. That said, these are two completely different amps. The Express has more American style cleans and gain tones. The TA is very Vox like, so you need to take style and tone into consideration for your needs.

Latest posts

Back