Express 5:25 Reverb is too quiet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redclay

Reaction score
I own one of the older 5:25s and the reverb seems too quiet or to have little effect even maxed at 10. Right now I play with the reverb at max and get some ambience.
I went through a period where I wasn't playing very much at all so I don't remember exactly how the reverb sounded when I got this.

Is it possible that my reverb is broken? I also retubed my power tubes into JJs and use some lower gain preamp tubes like a 5751 and some 12AT7s. Could that have an effect on my reverb?

Let me ask this - what does your reverb sound at 5 or 10?

edit:
V2 - 1st gain - 5751
V4 - phase inverter - 12AT7
V5 - reverb - 12AT7
rest are 12AX7s

12AT7's are low noise, low output tubes. Try putting a 12AX7 in the reverb tube and see what that does.

Len Rabinowitz said:
12AT7's are low noise, low output tubes. Try putting a 12AX7 in the reverb tube and see what that does.

Agreed. The 12AT7 is 50% of the gain of a 12AX7.

Al

Put a 12AX7 in it.

Not only are 12AT7s lower gain, they draw more current and can be bad for some amps.

Well I changed everything back to 12AXA7. Sounds like I got more reverb but it's still pretty quiet, I remember the reverb being like a cathedral when maxed out. I still only get some ambience with it at 10.

Weird. Check that the reverb cables are inserted all the way.

Latest posts

Back