How hot should my 5:50+ run; and speaker load ??

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydro

Reaction score
General question - my 5:50+ (head config) seems to get pretty hot when it runs. I'm not sure how hot I should expect it to be.

I have been running in 25W mode, driving a 4x12 at 8 ohms and about 9 o'clock on the volume. No issues or problems with it; just noticed, for example, when I pull out the instrument or speaker jacks, they are noticeably warm. This is after the amp's been on for a while too, so maybe this is all to be expected.

Second question - probably stupid - I know I am not supposed to run the amp without a speaker load, but is it safe to have it switched to standby and then pull the speaker cable to put into a different cab? I've done this to a/b speakers and cabs before.

hydro said:
General question - my 5:50+ (head config) seems to get pretty hot when it runs. I'm not sure how hot I should expect it to be.

I have been running in 25W mode, driving a 4x12 at 8 ohms and about 9 o'clock on the volume. No issues or problems with it; just noticed, for example, when I pull out the instrument or speaker jacks, they are noticeably warm. This is after the amp's been on for a while too, so maybe this is all to be expected.

Second question - probably stupid - I know I am not supposed to run the amp without a speaker load, but is it safe to have it switched to standby and then pull the speaker cable to put into a different cab? I've done this to a/b speakers and cabs before.

tubes in tube amps get very hot so it's normal for the amp & attached parts to get warm :mrgreen:

Back