Switched it up a bit - 5:50 (non +)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Garner

Reaction score
For the past few years I've been using the blues setting on channel 2 as my clean tone, and the crunch setting on channel 1 for my dirt tone. Last night, on a lark, I started playing with pedals on the blues channel, and I found I can get a much more complex and organic rock tone using OD pedals to goose the blues channel than trying to get a similar tone out of the crunch channel. So I'm now using blues as my dirt and clean as my clean.

It seems odd, since you'd think adding a pedal to the chain would "process" the tone more, but it sounds much more organic, with more overtones and more character, to use a LIGHT boost or OD to goose the blues setting. I think it's the way the channels are EQ'd and how this particular channel responds to being boosted, but I much prefer the tone. It sounds way more like a 70s era Marshall than the crunch setting ever could, to my ears. I think I'll be sticking with it for a while.

Yes I totally understand what you mean. OD pedals, especially the good ones, have a way of just adding in a whole new mix of sounds on a tube amp. I'd love to hear your setup with something like a Suhr Riot or a Analogman King of Tone.

I actually use the KOT. Standard gain version, yellow side for light boost and red side for heavier crunch. Then I use a Monsterpiece STUD for a solo boost. It sounds fantastic.

Sounds purdy pls! That is exactly the setup I am going for. I just bought a new guitar and now saving up to get Express+ and I'm on the list for a KOT.

elpingua said:
Sounds purdy pls! That is exactly the setup I am going for. I just bought a new guitar and now saving up to get Express+ and I'm on the list for a KOT.

I'll see if I can get some done. You prefer Strat, Tele or DGT (Les Paul-ish)?

Back