5:50: Plus versus Old (non Plus)

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elpingua

Reaction score
I've been considering a few Boogie amps to replace my Dual Rec..which I loved but it was just too much amp for me.

So looking at market on a Express and wondering what folks opinions are on Express (older) versus the newer Express plus. Why would one choose one over the other. Budge of course is always a consideration for us who are not rich. So I am leaning towards the older version and then just buying the Mesa Boogie EQ pedal. Would this give me the same effect as the newer Express plus?

Are there any considerations worth looking at in spending more money on a new Express versus the older one. I understand with the Road king its always preferable to get version 2 versus the version 1 because of the cleans. People prefer the IIC versus other II is there anything like that here with the Express other then the Graphic EQ.

elpingua said:
I've been considering a few Boogie amps to replace my Dual Rec..which I loved but it was just too much amp for me.

So looking at market on a Express and wondering what folks opinions are on Express (older) versus the newer Express plus. Why would one choose one over the other. Budge of course is always a consideration for us who are not rich. So I am leaning towards the older version and then just buying the Mesa Boogie EQ pedal. Would this give me the same effect as the newer Express plus?

Are there any considerations worth looking at in spending more money on a new Express versus the older one. I understand with the Road king its always preferable to get version 2 versus the version 1 because of the cleans. People prefer the IIC versus other II is there anything like that here with the Express other then the Graphic EQ.

The new EQ pedal is the same circuitry as used in the Express Plus amp and will give the same effects. The plus has a better foot switch, built in EQ, improved modes, 5/25/50 settings (over 5/50 with the regular express) and the solo control which is like a master volume. However, depending on the cost of a used Express and the new EQ pedal, you may be better off purchasing the used unit. But if it were in a couple hundred dollar difference I would go with the Plus especially getting a 5 year warranty on the new unit versus maybe nothing on the used model.

Good luck and whatever you decide I am sure you are going to be happy.

elpingua said:

Imo much better than the inbuilt Mesa EQ is a good EQ pedal like this

http://www.jimdunlop.com/product/m108-10-band-graphic-eq

or the MXR 6-band EQ pedal

haven't heard the Mesa EQ pedal but if this is it
http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/pedals/boogie-eq-pedal.html

doesn't look half as useful as the 2 MXR pedals - its only 5 band & at least double the price of the MXR pedals

sitedrifter said:
The new EQ pedal is the same circuitry as used in the Express Plus amp and will give the same effects.
Yes and no.
It may have the same circuitry, but you have to take a look at the position in the signal path. As long as you put the pedal into the loop, the sound should be nearly equal. For this, you need a looper to switch it in an out, because the pedal can't be remote controlled.

In front of the amp, the sound will be very different.

Sounds like the Express plus is the winner and is worth the extra cash. Now just to save up for one......just paid off my guitar~

In my opinion, the Plus is worth the wait and the extra Cash.
I switched from a 5:25 to a 5:50+ some time ago and i am very happy with that decision every time i play.

The original Express is a nice amp, but the Plus adds Flexibility and the Clean Channel is better, too.

+1 on newer Plus version versus Old. the cleans are significantly improved in my opinion.
Benefits include:
More power \watt options
Preset EQ plus grahic EQ options
Solo boost
Improved cleans

Just my $.02

Back