KT66 tubes in 5 50 express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot

Reaction score
I've read many different articles on the subject about replacing the 6L6 tubes with KT66 tubes and obviously everybody has an opinion. The guy at the Guitar shop that sell Mesa amps and also told me has has an older 5 50, which is what I have as well says he has a set of unmatched KT66 in his amp at home and has had NO problems with it, anybody else done this ? or is he just trying to sell me some tubes ?

Gonna answer my own question. Turns out the Tung Sol KT 66 tubes (which I purchased) are fine in the Express. 6L6 tubes draw .9 A heater current and the Tung Sol KT 66 tubes are from what I have found are the only KT 66 tubes that also only draw .9 A nominal heater currant. From what I've found most if not all but these draw 1.8 A+ or - . And in my opinion the KT 66 tubes in my Express are a little bit more... greasy, which I like. The 6L6's are a little too... tight for me. Sounds like a completely different amp, and yes I do already have the pre amp tube kit from Dougs tubes installed as well

"Pre-amp tube kit from Doug" hmmmmm sounds interesting... gonna check that out. Never heard of it.
I use my Exp 5:50 with 6L6 and love it, especially on the 5w setting. I upgraded the output transformer through mercury magnetics and the amp has amazing touch sensitivity and plays like a classic tube amp should.

Been using Doug's concoctions for years now and it's awesome. :D

DannyB_KY said:
I also would highly suggest Doug's tubes!

Yes and I suggest you upgrade the Power tubes with SED or TAD while you're at it.
These are also recommended by Doug.
Just replacing preamp tubes will only give you half of the potential improvement imo. :mrgreen:

Back