Express 5:25 combo volume differences

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

juhsun

Reaction score
Hello!

I just got 5:25 combo and I'm very happy with it. There is only one thing that concerns me. Clean channel is way louder than 3 other channels. When I dial in suggested settings from manual everything is good except clean channel which is much louder. Sound is good in all channels.
What might be the problem? I keep mastervolume around 10-11 o'clock..

Thanks for your input!

Need a little more info. The amp only has two channels. Each channel has two voicing modes.

If you are changing power levels that can change the volume a lot.

If you have anything in the effects loop that can change the volume also.

My guess is that you have the clean channel at 25 watts and the other channel lower. That would do it.

Thanks for your answer! Yes with channels I meant voicings.. This is original 5:25 so everything is at 25 watts. If I change from clean to crunch overall output decreases significantly..

Sounds like a tube issue. Get a replacement 12AX7 (or two) and try it (them) in the positions that the manual says affects the various modes.

juhsun said:
Thanks for your answer! Yes with channels I meant voicings.. This is original 5:25 so everything is at 25 watts. If I change from clean to crunch overall output decreases significantly..

FWIW, my 5:25 behaves the same way. The clean channel is far more dynamic than the more compressed gainier channels. So some notes will be super loud. Other amps I've owned have had this trait also. I'm not a clean guy, but I always thought this was just the way it is an people use compressors to temper the dynamics.

But maybe your situation is more extreme?

How high do you have the mids turned up? Cranked mids make the clean mode really loud!

Back