4x12 Trad. Recto cab, V30s, Express 5:50+

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hydro

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a 4x12 Trad. slant cab recently. Very happy with the format, build quality, etc.

I had initially been using it with my dual recto, now using it with a 5:50+ head and am considering retiring the DR.

With both amps, though, the V30s just aren't doing it for me so far. They seem kind of buzzy in the high mids, and I am not getting as much low end as I want. Some of this may be the 5:50 which has a different gain flavor, for sure, than the red channel on the Dual Recto. But even with the recto I feel like the speakers are just voiced wrong for my playing style. I've given them a few months of break-in time.

Is there any conventional wisdom for a speaker replacement for this cabinet, which would maybe tame the buzzy high mids and give more/clearer bass response? I'm considering Eminence Swamp Things and also the C90 Black Shadow, which I have one of in another 1x12 cab. But I see that Mesa typically uses the C90s in open back configs and so I'm wondering if it's also suitable for a closed back cab.

I play mostly stoner/garage/psych and I often need really good cleans too, so there's that.

Any thoughts/suggestions/advice appreciated, as always.

Back