5:50 tube suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Len Rabinowitz

Reaction score
Hi guys!

Just picked up a used 5:50, about 3 years old.

Great amp, but it sounds to me like it needs to be retubed.

1. Any suggestions on preamp tubes? I like crystal clear cleans, bluesy breakup, and modern lead gain.

2. I am a little confused about power tubes on this amp. I know it is fixed bias, but what does that mean? Can I use any 6L6 tube, or is it only Mesa tubes?

All help appreciated. Thanks!

Len Rabinowitz said:
Hi guys!

Just picked up a used 5:50, about 3 years old.

Great amp, but it sounds to me like it needs to be retubed.

1. Any suggestions on preamp tubes? I like crystal clear cleans, bluesy breakup, and modern lead gain.

2. I am a little confused about power tubes on this amp. I know it is fixed bias, but what does that mean? Can I use any 6L6 tube, or is it only Mesa tubes?

All help appreciated. Thanks!

If you do a search you'll find many threads on 5:50 retubes :mrgreen:

Yeah, that actually got a little confusing to me. I really just need to know if you have to use Mesa power tubes only, or if you can use other brands?

Yeah, that actually got a little confusing to me. I really just need to know if you have to use Mesa power tubes only, or if you can use other brands?

You don't have to use Mesa only tubes IF you buy from the right source. I bought mine new tubes from Doug at Dougs tubes. Send him an email and tell him the sound you're after, then follow his advice.

I bought my 5:50+ new. I replaced all the tubes with less than an hour on them. Doug's advice did the trick for me!

DannyB_KY said:
You don't have to use Mesa only tubes IF you buy from the right source. I bought mine new tubes from Doug at Dougs tubes. Send him an email and tell him the sound you're after, then follow his advice.

I bought my 5:50+ new. I replaced all the tubes with less than an hour on them. Doug's advice did the trick for me!

I suggest people don't use Mesa tubes - especially if they don't have a valid warranty.
Mesa use ordinary chinese tubes - not crap but not great imo.
And everyone i've heard of that's changed tubes has preferred the new one's.
I also highly recommend Dougs tube mix for the 5:50.
You need both preamp & power tubes to get the full effect :mrgreen:

Before i did the tube change thing i decided to record the amps sound with stock and varius tube changes, for me, its the only way to really see and hear the differences.

I recorded a guitar DI loop, put it on my express input and hit play then the send signal from the FX loop was recorded direct to logic.

I did 8 takes + the original with stock tubes and i ended picking my 6th take because it was the best sounding to me, was louder, warmer and wider sounding then the stock mesa tubes.

I ended with 2 JJ 12ax7s in V1 and V2, a GT silver letering on the PI and some other tubes that had no markings in the reverb and fx loop slots.

Many people will happy enought with the stock tubes, i was for many months until the "change tube" bug bite me and yes, there is a considerable benefit with just the right combination of tubes.

Back