Can you run an extension speaker cab from + 550 COMBO?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingtutt

Reaction score
I'm close to purchasing a Express plus 550. If you look hard enough, there are a few used COMBO units out there but I cannot find a used head (would really prefer a HEAD).
I was wondering if I get a COMBO, can I keep the original 12" speaker plugged in the back and use the two 4 ohms speaker ext jacks in the back to run them into my Marshall 4x12 cabinet? Thanks

You can, but the total load on the amp will be 2.67 ohms, very close to the recommended absolute limit of 2 ohms.
Your power tubes will wear out sooner.
Unplug the combo speaker, and you're completely safe.

You should be able to run the stock 8 ohm speaker in one of the two 4ohm slots and another 8 ohm cab in the other 4 ohm slot, thats what the manual says anyways for my 5:25, as long as the resistance of the cab is a higher number you'll be fine.

I don't think you can run a cab if you have the stock speaker plugged into the stock speaker out put (8 ohm), thats why they have the two seperate outputs, so the load is split correctly.

Back