A little buying advice on a 5:50?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yowzman

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum.

I'm very very very close to buying a 5:50+ new. Played it in store and loved it. Absolutely magical gain structure which is my main gripe with my current TSL60.
My marshall sounds fantastic with my band, but is a little too boxy and grainy IMO, I want to change for this reason, but I have no idea how a mesa sits with a band.
I don't like the V scoop thing, so if anyone has experience playing with an express in a live setting without the V scoop that could offer me some of their thoughts on it I would be incredibly grateful.
Like, how well does it cut through the mix, what's it like cranked up etc.

Many thanks

yowzman said:
Hi all, new to the forum.

I'm very very very close to buying a 5:50+ new. Played it in store and loved it. Absolutely magical gain structure which is my main gripe with my current TSL60.
My marshall sounds fantastic with my band, but is a little too boxy and grainy IMO, I want to change for this reason, but I have no idea how a mesa sits with a band.
I don't like the V scoop thing, so if anyone has experience playing with an express in a live setting without the V scoop that could offer me some of their thoughts on it I would be incredibly grateful.
Like, how well does it cut through the mix, what's it like cranked up etc.

Many thanks

Hi
I used to own a JCM800 & moved to the 5:50 4 yrs ago.
No issues cutting thru any mix.
5:50 has a much wider range of tones than any marshall I've played & the EQ options make it very versatile.
The distortion is a more modern Mesa flavour - not marshall like imo - with or without the V scoop or contour engaged
More Foo Fighters & Pearl Jam than marshall british 80s hard rock.
At gigs I'll use the 5:50 burn channel with & without mid scoop depending what tone I want.

For those classic old marshall JCM & Plexi tones i use an MI Audio Super Crunchbox pedal

Latest posts

Back