crunch channel only

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot

Reaction score
After 4 or 5 hours of playing the other night I have just turned amp on and started playing at home, now in the 5 watt channel the crunch channel seems to have WAY more gain than before, not good gain though, it almost sounds ??? grainy ? almost like a blown speaker kinda thing. so I changed power tubes back to original. ( had a complete set from Dougs Tubes in ) same, and then changed all the pre amp tubes 1 at a time back to all Mesa tubes, still grainy. Put into clean sounds clean, blues and burn sound fine, just crunch channel. Put into 50 watt mode grainy sound gone !
Kinda ironic, I've been trying to get more gain outa this amp since I bought it, but this just sounds terrible
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

And now it seems I'm losing power in all the modes in the 5 watt setting.

Scot said:
After 4 or 5 hours of playing the other night I have just turned amp on and started playing at home, now in the 5 watt channel the crunch channel seems to have WAY more gain than before, not good gain though, it almost sounds ??? grainy ? almost like a blown speaker kinda thing. so I changed power tubes back to original. ( had a complete set from Dougs Tubes in ) same, and then changed all the pre amp tubes 1 at a time back to all Mesa tubes, still grainy. Put into clean sounds clean, blues and burn sound fine, just crunch channel. Put into 50 watt mode grainy sound gone !
Kinda ironic, I've been trying to get more gain outa this amp since I bought it, but this just sounds terrible
Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated

Could be just your room at home having different vibes.
Crunch is not crunch without some gain and Express crunch voice on both 5 & 50w is one of it's best tones imo.
No grainy on mine - in any room :mrgreen:

Similar but different to your problem, I currently have a problem with the Crunch Ch losing power. If you flip the toggle to Clean, or Ftwstch to Blues/Burn and back the sound returns. This was in 5W mode (didn't ck any other wattage), but other 3 channels are fine. It's in the shop under warranty. Mesa thinks it's a minor part failure & their Service Mgr is going to help the shop tech with the repair. Did you get yours fixed?

Back