Help me Pair an Express 5:25+ and Mesa Cabinet

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gswilder

Reaction score
Hello all.

I just recently bought a 5:25+ combo and fell in love. Now I am looking to sell my Orange and Fender amps and go all Mesa.

For my next purchase, I was think of going with a 5:25 head and a mesa cab. What do you think about this? And which cabinet would you recommend?

I play classic rock, pop, and blues mainly.

Thanks to all in advance.

Greg

IMHO, if you get a head, get a 5:50+ head. That way you kinda have the best of both worlds: a small grab & go combo and a versatile head with a different flavor.

Try this:

5:25+ head, Forte' 3D cabinet. Loaded with an MC90. Sounds huge, like a dual 12" cabinet. Will keep up with our other guitar's player Mark IIC+ 60 watt with an EV. Buying a 5:50, though, isn't a bad idea either as it will have a bit more headroom and is the 6L6 flavor instead of the EL84 one.

Al

With my 5:25+ head I run a Carvin cab with 2 Vintage 30's.
sounds great!

gswilder said:
Thanks for the info. I have never heard of Forte cabinets before.

http://www.fortespeakers.com/fortehome.html

Dave builds great cabinets....not light, but great sound and quality.

Al

I really like the Mesa widebody closed back/front ported cab. If you're set on an Express head, get the 5:50+ since you already have the 5:25.

jmontgomery said:
I really like the Mesa widebody closed back/front ported cab. If you're set on an Express head, get the 5:50+ since you already have the 5:25.

Hi Jeff,
I've been thinking about pairing the 1x12 Thiele with my Express 5:25+ combo. People I've spoken to say say that it adds more low-end punch, but do you find that it gives you a bigger sound across the spectrum, not just at the low end?

Thanks,
Steve

The Thiele cab is not the same as the front-ported, closed-back widebody cab. The Thiele will definitely provide significantly more low end to your combo.

SteveB said:
jmontgomery said:

Hi Jeff,
I've been thinking about pairing the 1x12 Thiele with my Express 5:25+ combo. People I've spoken to say say that it adds more low-end punch, but do you find that it gives you a bigger sound across the spectrum, not just at the low end?

Thanks,
Steve

I would describe it as a bigger sound. Great cab.

Back