Question for 5:50 Owners

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ifailedshapes

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm considering a 5:50+ head, and I have a question for ya'll. Can the 5:50+ get glassy tones like a Deluxe Reverb? Every Mesa I've ever had has a large bottom end, and I'm finding that I prefer the glassiness and clarity of the simpler Fender circuit. I'm admittedly a Mesa fan, so if the 5:50+ can cop that vibe, I'll go for it.

Thanks!

I have the 5:50+ combo (1x12) and I think it's gets pretty glassy & clean.
It's pretty good in 5w mode, and gets better in the higher wattage settings.

The only catch is that you'll need to fiddle with the tone & eq, but it's worth it.

Like mark says, it can be glassy. I prefer the head versioni also, as that's what I bought.

If you really want a fenderish tone, send Doug @Dougs Tubes an email. Explain to him what you want. He'll suggest new preamp tubes and may suggest new power tubes of a different flavor than the Mesa output tubes. Follow his recommendation and you won't be disappointed! 8)

I have a Mesa Express 5 50+ and a Fender Deluxe Reverb in a stereo set up. The Mesa was the only amp I found to have the Fender chimy cleans with a fuller tone. In stereo they make a great pair. I preferred the Mesa Express 5 50+ over the Lonestar because the 5 band EQ helps to get that Fender sound.

Latest posts

Back