Boogie Expree 5 50 and distortion pedal

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scot

Reaction score
Hello all, i'm new too the board and to tube amps, I have a question. When running a fullbore metal distortion pedal through my 5 50 express clean channel w/ all pre amp dials at 12 o'clock sounds great at volumes under 9 o'clock but anything higher and its just a wave of noise. The question is, is it just pushing the pre amp way to hard at loud volumes ? I have tried a couple distortion pedals with similar results.

Scot said:
Hello all, i'm new too the board and to tube amps, I have a question. When running a fullbore metal distortion pedal through my 5 50 express clean channel w/ all pre amp dials at 12 o'clock sounds great at volumes under 9 o'clock but anything higher and its just a wave of noise. The question is, is it just pushing the pre amp way to hard at loud volumes ? I have tried a couple distortion pedals with similar results.

Well I never run the 5:50 with all EQ's at 12 oclock.
And i never raise the bass dial above 11 oclock - usually around 9 or 10.
It's too boomy/flubby set higher imo and you lose articulation with distortion.
Using all pedals I set the clean tone how I like on the amp first - then set the pedal to suit that.
Then volume variations all sound great.

Newy has some good advice here; I run distortion or fuzz into my 5:50 clean channel all the time, but typically keep only the treble filter at or above noon. "Wave of noise" makes me think you probably have either the mids or bass or both dialed into too high. If you want a tight bass end, try engaging the contour while dialing back the bass in the preamp.

Another thing to try is put Ch1 into crunch mode, dial the treble mid bass all at or near noon, but back off the preamp gain below noon. Dial volume to taste. The input in crunch mode seems to cut a lot more bass, so I find I can dial the bass and mids higher than I normally would in clean mode.

Hope that helps.

OP, I'm not familiar with that particular pedal (and I haven't finished my morning coffee, so I'm far too lazy to Google it, lol) so forgive me if this knob is labeled differently, but have you tried lowering the output from your pedal?

Define "noise".
Squealing, a high-pitched sound which goes away when lowering any volume control?
Hum, which changes according to the position of the guitar relative to the amp. IOW, if you are standing very close, facing the amp, the noise is greater than when you move away and stand to the side, facing away from the amp?
Buzz, similar to "hum", but louder, like the sound you make when you plug a guitar cable into the amp and touch the other end? There may be no other sound coming from the guitar, and changing positions has no affect.

Also, if all pre-amp controls are at noon, where are the Channel Master controls set?

thanks to all that have responded. Turning down gain mid and bass have helped. I just assumed that I should set up clean channel to sound good and use that setting but yes way too flubby regardless of pedal settings.
Thanks again

Back