What pedal are you guys using with Express for metal?

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monsta-Tone

Boogie Supporter
Reaction score
I just picked up an Express 550 Plus!
I think this amp will cover alot of what I need, especially after modding it to make Crunch/Clean foot switchable!

Once in a while I need some dark sounding (Recto-like) chugga chugga......
What are you guys using to get some chug?

Monsta-Tone said:
I just picked up an Express 550 Plus!
I think this amp will cover alot of what I need, especially after modding it to make Crunch/Clean foot switchable!

Once in a while I need some dark sounding (Recto-like) chugga chugga......
What are you guys using to get some chug?

I use a Super Crunchbox (new version) into the either clean or blues channels with the contour engaged.
On the Plus you can also use the inbuilt EQ panel.
Chug to burn :mrgreen:

hi guys and girls

it´s my first time in this forum, i have at 1 months my first boogie it´s a 5 25 + head whit a lonestar cab, and for now i´m really happy.

i use it on my home studio, and now it´s time to record some metal...uhmm

i try all gain on burn channel in a guitar whit one emg 81, and are not on the metal area.

so i will soon buy a maxon od808 for extra distortion, i plan to use the 808 on the burn channel, like 20% of mix.

this is my theory... if you thing that don't work please let me know before i spend 120€ on this pedal :)

thanks
ribazigi

The 808 really helps push the amp into heavier territory. Especially with the EQ set in a V pattern or the knob for the EQ turned up about half way.
I sent mine back because it was broken. I'm an amp tech, but didn't want to spend that much money on a project.

hi Monsta-Tone

i see some people use 808 on the rectifier... no the same amp.

but i think you are right :) i will give a chance to the the 808,

i will post some clips when i get the tone.

ribazigi said:
hi guys and girls

it´s my first time in this forum, i have at 1 months my first boogie it´s a 5 25 + head whit a lonestar cab, and for now i´m really happy.

i use it on my home studio, and now it´s time to record some metal...uhmm

i try all gain on burn channel in a guitar whit one emg 81, and are not on the metal area.

so i will soon buy a maxon od808 for extra distortion, i plan to use the 808 on the burn channel, like 20% of mix.

this is my theory... if you thing that don't work please let me know before i spend 120€ on this pedal :)

thanks
ribazigi

Yes I have a Maxon OD-9.
It will scream your tubes into metal tones :mrgreen:

I don't have a distortion pedal, but would make sure to try the crunch mode on channel 1 as well as the burn channel. I will say that using the contour on burn can get some rectifier like sounds. Really flexible amp, try all combinations.

you are right, last night i have a few hours, i have 3 sons :) ...

and i thing that i have almost achieve the metal distortion, i dont like most metal tones, my drive are more like old soundgarden, old machine head, alice in chain...
for this drives no need pedal, for new metal, i feel is necessary a extra drive.

For a nice heavy tone try these settings:

BURN channel

Gain MAX, Trebble 3 o clock, Mid 3 o clock, Bass 9 o clock, Contour ON at 12 o clock to MAX (at Your preference). I find You can't go past 10 o clock on the bass because You will never get a tight tone then.

Try it out ;)

I will try this settings, my it´s the plus version, don't have the contour, but i can do whit the eq.

sorry my late answer about this, but I´m in studio recording a project.

when finish i will post some files to you comment

best
Nuno

ribazigi said:
I will try this settings, my it´s the plus version, don't have the contour, but i can do whit the eq.

The "Preset Depth"-Pots on your Amp do the same thing as the Contour-Pots on the old Express Models.

Back