Just got my 1x12 5:25 Express Combo....

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dennyvt

Reaction score
.....and so far I love it. There seems to be a little boxyness and lack of high end on some of my settings. Been playing boogs since Carlos found them. Several MK I, II,III's, couple nomads, few mavericks so I understand the interaction with the controls real well but I just can dial that dang honk out (now it's only there sometimes).

sample settings might help.?!

also - has anyone to date installed an EV12L in there? How does it sound? Your suggestions and comments are very appreciated.

Denny
www.bluefrets.com

Download the manual from Boogie's website, if you haven't already done so. There are a bunch of sample settings in there that give you a good feel of what this amp is capable of.

Congrats on your 5:25! I miss mine!

Congrats. I have owned many amps in my day. The express 5:25 is by far the best all around amp i have ever owned for home play and gigs. It takes a while to get your tone and that also usually depends on the style you like and type of guitar. I always keep the contour on and set at 50%. I found the bass can be overwhelming if not too careful. I usually set it low.. say around 9pm... sometimes lower if i am on the gain burn channel with a lot of gain. I read a review online that suggested setting the highs to match the gain setting and found this to be a good tip. The mids I played for a while and keep around 10-11pm. I only use the 5 watt setting around home... with the band it was always a bit too thin. I hear you on the boxy settings. If you play with the settings enough you can find a happy medium.

ifailedshapes said:
Download the manual from Boogie's website, if you haven't already done so. There are a bunch of sample settings in there that give you a good feel of what this amp is capable of.
Hi Denny,
Beyond the sample settings in the manual, Mesa has also put a bunch of video samples on their web site and each one displays the amp settings.

http://www.mesaboogie.com/Product_Info/Express/Express+525.html#gpm1_4

Steve

that helps - I'm gettin there - just got to get used to how the adjustments affect the other adjustments. This amp sound great though - any other suggestions? Mods?

Oh yea - I forgot - the solo balance isn't as balanced as my Nomad? I have no radical settings - masters - 9/10

gains - 3/4 so nothing out of the ordinary for settings.

Denny

Maybe I'm not reading that right, but if your masters are up to 90%:

1) That thing is stupid loud, and
2) There is no more room left for the Solo function to work

Hopefully I misunderstood you. :)

OOps Sorry about that. That WOULD be stupid loud. The Masters are definitely below 9-oclock.

I had the same impressions when mine was new. Everything mentioned above helps tame the honk. That said, I ditched the stock V30 speaker which is notorious for having a big hi-mid hump that I found annoying (I did not give it a chance to break-in so I don't know if it gets better). I'm now running a Scumback H75 with large dust cap and am very happy with it. Happy hunting.

I just got an Express Plus 5:25 combo. The Clean channel seems very bright to me. If the treble is turned down a lot, seems to loose something. Haven't found an EQ setting that works quite yet. Wondering if breaking in the stock speaker helps? And reading around for other speakers to try.

Play with the balance between less treble (which gives you more control over the bass and mids). Of course, the 5 =-band graphic does wonders for tone-shaping in the + series. Are you playing on your own or in a band setting? Enjoy!

I have used the amp out a few times and it's just killer in every area. BTW - there are no presence controls on the 5/25+ People seem to panic (as I did) when the tone isn't right right out of the box. The controls are very powerful and extremely interactive so to play with a low setting on any frequency seems absurd - that's Mesa :D . the tones are there, and if you take the TIME to learn HOW TO PLAY A MESA you shouldn't have a problem. Just don't go in there and start twisting knobs to your favorite "other" amp settings because it usually doesn't work that way. Like one guy in this post said - start from the left and work your way to the right - worked for me.

D.
http://www.bluefrets.com

I play live and at home. I have tried some of the suggested settings, tried with all kinds of extreme (from normal amp) settings and played with the EQ. I have some different 12" speakers around, so will try them (a 4x12 cab and a 1x12 single cab) to see any differences. Quite used to Boogie tone controls not being like others (have a MKIIA) and this one even more so. Live, the 25W/15W selection will probably make a more noticeable difference.

That is one of the things about this amp that is appealing - lots of adjustability and no rules how to do it.

Latest posts

Back