MC90 Black Shadow Question

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
I have a question about the stock MC90 Black Shadow speaker that's installed in the Express 5:50 (non +). I bought my 5:50 Express combo back in July of 2012. At the time I thought it sounded great, but thought I would try a different speaker. I had the aftermarket speaker installed for about a year, then decided to give the OEM speaker another try.

First off, the MC90 had a few hours on it when I reinstalled it in the combo. For my purposes, this speaker is made for this amp, but... I think something "went south" on the OEM MC90 (or not). A couple weeks ago I decided to practice at home in my upstairs office instead of in the basement (I keep my 5:50+ head/dual cab rig down there since I can play that one with a little more volume in that environment). Before I moved the combo upstairs I had some difficulty getting the low end girth out of that amp that I experienced with the head/cab setup. As a test, I unplugged the internal speaker on the combo and ran it through one of the cabs I use under the head (23"Lone Star - MC90 loaded). It sounded great.

As a result of that test, I decided to order a new MC90 directly from MESA. When I installed it in the combo, the results were almost identical to what I found running the combo through the extension cab. That low end girth was back.

Is it possible that the original MC90 has a manufacturing issue, or is there something different about the newer speakers?*

*I had almost shelled out additional $$$ for new tubes if there was no appreciable difference in the 2 speakers.

Back