5:50 Plus Issue: 5-Watt setting has no sound/Faint Sound

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jawsjr2

Reaction score
I have a brand new 5:50 Plus combo that I have played for about a month. All of a sudden, the 5-watt setting has no sound or just a faint sound even when the master is cranked. The other two settings are fine. Issue is on both channels and on all four modes. It's a shame as I live on the 5-watt setting. I did replace power tubes in the hope that that would fix it but to no avail.

Anyone have this issue or any suggestions on how to fix it? Love the amp but not happy about this.

Thanks.

Try replacing the phase inverter/driver tube. It works harder in the 5 watt mode. Mine became worn and still worked fine in the 50 watt mode but not in the 5 watt mode.

Hi Don,
Thanks for the promising tip but unfortunately, it didn't work. Anyone have any idea? On the 5 watt setting, sound is coming thru but barely. Even with masters cranked, all you hear is a very, very low volume distorted fizz.

Again, the other wattage settings are fine. What a bummer on a new amp.

It's under warranty. Don't waste your time and money trying to fix it yourself. Just call Mesa and let their warranty cover it!

ifailedshapes said:
It's under warranty. Don't waste your time and money trying to fix it yourself. Just call Mesa and let their warranty cover it!

Does that mean I have to ship this monster to Cali or are there local authorized service centers?

There are authorized repair centers. A list should have come with your amp if you bought it new, otherwise it's probably on their website. I would definitely give them a call to get the ball rolling either way. They're open Mon-Thurs, and even if you called today and left a message, they've always been great at calling me back.

Back