Terrible hissing noise on Crunch setting of 5:50 Express

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CostaFonix

Reaction score
Greetings from South Africa,
I am the owner of a 5:50 Express combo which is barely 3 years old and it suddenly developed a terrible hissing noise on the crunch setting, sounds like something is frying up and you cannot play on that channel.
its not tube related, and not related to the footswitch either as it still makes the noise when the footswitch is disconnected.
I've had the amp at an amp tech (arguably one of the best in Johannesburg) and between him and the Mesa Boogie engineers they could not solve the problem,.,..the only suggestion Mesa could give was to 'ship the amp back to the factory for repair'...
All the other channels play perfectly, the amp is in mint condition and never gigged, only used in a studio.
Has anyone out there experienced a similar issue with these amps?
Very disappointing considering the age and the price of this amp. :cry:

CostaFonix said:
Greetings from South Africa,
I am the owner of a 5:50 Express combo which is barely 3 years old and it suddenly developed a terrible hissing noise on the crunch setting, sounds like something is frying up and you cannot play on that channel.
its not tube related, and not related to the footswitch either as it still makes the noise when the footswitch is disconnected.
I've had the amp at an amp tech (arguably one of the best in Johannesburg) and between him and the Mesa Boogie engineers they could not solve the problem,.,..the only suggestion Mesa could give was to 'ship the amp back to the factory for repair'...
All the other channels play perfectly, the amp is in mint condition and never gigged, only used in a studio.
Has anyone out there experienced a similar issue with these amps?
Very disappointing considering the age and the price of this amp. :cry:

Never heard of this before.
If an Amp Tech & Mesa can't diagnose it there's little chance anyone else can.
Just bad luck is all but at 3 yrs old I wouldn't be complaining.
Mesa warranty should cover everything, you'll just be without it for a few weeks.
Please let us know the outcome :)

Back