MC90 BLACK SHADOW

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yardbird mac

Reaction score
After swapping speakers in my Express 5:50 (non-plus) combo over the past few months I've come back home to my MC90 BLACK SHADOW. I think this speaker is pretty well broken in and it responds well to my style and pick attack/dynamics. I tried a Cannabis Rex (wrong ? though) and a SCUMBACK M75. Neither of these gave me what I was looking for so this afternoon I reinstalled the MC90. Before I started experimenting with other speakers, I thought I was hearing the sterile/flatness/flabbiness that some complain of. I no longer agree.

Someone else in another thread mentioned that they thought that the MC90 is a good choice and it matches well with the Express 5:50. I have to agree. I like this speaker so well I ordered another one for as a backup (just in case)!

yardbird mac said:
After swapping speakers in my Express 5:50 (non-plus) combo over the past few months I've come back home to my MC90 BLACK SHADOW. I think this speaker is pretty well broken in and it responds well to my style and pick attack/dynamics. I tried a Cannabis Rex (wrong ? though) and a SCUMBACK M75. Neither of these gave me what I was looking for so this afternoon I reinstalled the MC90. Before I started experimenting with other speakers, I thought I was hearing the sterile/flatness/flabbiness that some complain of. I no longer agree.

Someone else in another thread mentioned that they thought that the MC90 is a good choice and is matches well with the Express 5:50. I have to agree. I like this speaker so well I ordered another one for as a backup (just in case)!

The MC90 is my favorite driver at this point. I use one with both my Express and my Tweaker. The V30 sits back in it's shipping box. I've also got a WGS ET-65 that I really like, but the MC90 edges it out.

Al

I'm working through Express threads looking for some ideas on different settings - but noticed this one. Sorry for dragging it out of history if anybody is bothered by that. However - just wanted to pass this on if anybody is interested.

I replaced the MC90 in my 5 50 + with an Eminence Maverick speaker.

It has an adjustment at the back that winds the voice coil in and out of the speaker magnet - so you can have a mechanical attenuation of volume and drive the output stage a bit more. Drops the output by about 9db.

The sound is fantastic - really like the Maverick - had it in for a few years now. I can't remember now exactly how this amp sounded with the MC90 - but I do remember that I instantaneously preferred the sound of the Maverick at all volumes.

Latest posts

Back