Tube Noise

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

freekzila

Reaction score
I got a new Express Plus 5:50 awhile ago and when I tap on the power tubes or the top of my combo I hear a metallic rattle, is this a problem with the tubes or something loose inside the amp? Anyone else had this problem?

DannyB_KY said:
Tapping on top of your combo make me thing you're shaking and hearing the spring reverb.
Its definitely the power tubes. When I hold the tubes and tap there is no noise. The noise isn't coming through the speaker but when I play higher volume there is lots of rattle coming from the cab.

I'd contact Doug at Doug's Tubes and get a new pair of output tubes..........and ask him to recommend tubes for the style of music you play..........you will be glad you did! 8)

First…I'd crank that sucker to 11 for at least an hour, and burn those tubes in. Then…Do it a couple of more times. If that doesn't work…Then think about new tubes. Everyone on here is too quick to jettison their Mesa tubes. That's the whole reason I bought a 5/50. I don't want to hear Doug's tubes. I want to hear my Mesa as it was made to sound! (rant over) :wink:

Latest posts

Back