Express 5:25 + Eminence Governor + ohmage mis-match

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mote

Reaction score
I have a 5:25 combo with a V30. I like how it sounds but it is pretty bright. I read a lot of good things about the Eminence Governor. So I popped in a 16-ohm Governor - Plugged it into the 8-ohm jack and was under-whelmed. It softened the bright highs, yes it did. But all the rich complex harmonies were gone too and the amp sounded flat.

Should I try this again with an 8-ohm Governor? How much of a difference would I realize if I have the ohmage matched?

-Thanks
-Dave

Definitely try it again. When you double the speaker impedance, that doubling reflects over to your output transformer's primary. There is now less current going through the power tubes and more voltage being developed. The speaker is also dampened differently. All these weird technical terms mean a different sound.

EtherealWidow said:
Definitely try it again. When you double the speaker impedance, that doubling reflects over to your output transformer's primary. There is now less current going through the power tubes and more voltage being developed. The speaker is also dampened differently. All these weird technical terms mean a different sound.

Cool. Does anyone have practical experience with a situation like this? Does using a 16-ohm speaker with an 8-ohm tap sound more dull than it would if the ohmage were matched? I suspect a real-world example would be a 8-ohm speaker with the 8 and 4-ohm taps.

Also, does anyone have experience with using an Eminence The Governor with Express 5:25?

Thanks so much

I have an 8 ohm Cannabis Rex. When I use it with my 4 ohm tap the amp sounds a lot more compressed and has a lot more treble. The opposite of your effect, oddly enough. No experience with the Governor though. Maybe it's just a dull speaker. Might wanna try it in a different room with a different cab. My Cannabis Rex sounds different through different cabs, it's in a Thiele right now. Also sounds WAY different from room to room.

Latest posts

Back