2x12 Mesa cab to match 5:50+ head

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tremolo arm

Reaction score
I recently bought a 5:50+ which sounds amazing through my Orange 2x12 open back cab loaded with V30s, but not so through my Marshall 2x12 closed back cab loaded with G12C.

I was wondering which Mesa cab would best suit this amp. Style I play is classic rock / funk rock - Chili Peppers, Audioslave, Extreme, Aerosmith, Black Crowes, Led Zep, etc. Importantly it would need to fit nicely under the Express (i.e. no overhang).

Any ideas? Thanks

Not all V30 loaded 2x12 cabs are the same, obviously. The Orange, the PRS 2x12 Pine (my current fav), Boogie 2x12 horiz. Recto, and Boogie 2x12 vert all have completely different vibes and sound like they have different speakers. Granted, the Boogies' V30 are the English versions and all the rest are Chinese, but that's not bad, just different. For your styles of music, I'd try the Boogie horizontal Recto 2x12 (since they're so prevalent) and if you can, the PRS Pine (not the big mouth version...it sounds almost identical to the Recto, IMO). The PRS does not sound like V30s at all, to my ears and the Orange offset 2x12 is one of the best cabs on the market today.

I have the 5:50+ plus head. I had a 2x12 horizontal Mesa Recto cab. I loved the sound but hated having both speakers so close to the floor. I sent it back and got the 2x12 Mesa Recto vertical closed back cab. The head and cab look like they are made for each other! Perfect fit and sounds incredible!! Killer blues and classic rock cab!

There's a BIG difference in a G12C and the Mesa version of the V30.

DannyB_KY said:
I have the 5:50+ plus head. I had a 2x12 horizontal Mesa Recto cab. I loved the sound but hated having both speakers so close to the floor. I sent it back and got the 2x12 Mesa Recto vertical closed back cab. The head and cab look like they are made for each other! Perfect fit and sounds incredible!! Killer blues and classic rock cab!

There's a BIG difference in a G12C and the Mesa version of the V30.

That's a beautiful cab. Shame it is so heavy and expensive (here in the UK it is more than $1000!)
I also find there is a big difference in sound between when the cab is on the floor and when not (any cab for that matter). Even the castors have a dramatic effect as I think they contribute to a big loss of bass as it the case with my Marshall 1936 cab.
I remember selling my first Express 5:50 because it sounded shrill, beamy and fizzy when elevated on an amp stand. The 5:50+ is better when elevated, but much better when on the floor.

kdorsey said:
Not all V30 loaded 2x12 cabs are the same, obviously. The Orange, the PRS 2x12 Pine (my current fav), Boogie 2x12 horiz. Recto, and Boogie 2x12 vert all have completely different vibes and sound like they have different speakers. Granted, the Boogies' V30 are the English versions and all the rest are Chinese, but that's not bad, just different. For your styles of music, I'd try the Boogie horizontal Recto 2x12 (since they're so prevalent) and if you can, the PRS Pine (not the big mouth version...it sounds almost identical to the Recto, IMO). The PRS does not sound like V30s at all, to my ears and the Orange offset 2x12 is one of the best cabs on the market today.

Thanks. I've been looking around different cabs but given the high prices of the recto cabs here in the UK, I might probably stick to my Orange 2x12. By offset, do you mean that the two speakers are in the opposite corners (one left/down, the other right/up)? That's the case with mine, so just checking we're talking the same language... :)

Latest posts

Back