Thinking of Replacing my Classic 30 with a 5:25 Plus.

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gadjet

Reaction score
I have a Classic 30 that I use as my backup and amp for "combo" type situations. I does have a few mods. Here's the question; I have a Mini Rec and a closed back widebody 1x12 and I also have an opportunity to pick up a 5:25 plus 1x12 combo at a decent price. I do put a emphasis on good classic rock O.D(no metal) and prefer a little dirtier type clean. Am I going to be playing my Mini and letting the 5:25 sit? Maybe better to just keep the Classic 30 if this is the case? Even I'm getting the 5:25 at a good price we are still talking some coin. Also in the mix, I have a H&K Tubemeister 36.

The other guitar guy in our P&W Band plays a Peavey Delta Blues (I believe the same amp, just with a 15" speaker). It sounds good. I like my 5:25 better. For clean sounds there's a little more girth (mids) and the Mesa sounds much better dirty (IMHO). I also play with a little dirt in the clean channel.

You should try one out and see what YOU think.

TW

twally said:
The other guitar guy in our P&W Band plays a Peavey Delta Blues (I believe the same amp, just with a 15" speaker). It sounds good. I like my 5:25 better. For clean sounds there's a little more girth (mids) and the Mesa sounds much better dirty (IMHO). I also play with a little dirt in the clean channel.

You should try one out and see what YOU think.

TW
Actually I have had a 5:50 plus... What I did get was a test drive to shake it out.. He was worried about neighbors and it getting to loud... He kind of had the "please just buy it and leave" attitude.

I think the 5:25 is your amp. I have the 5:50 and it gets very loud when being pushed to break up on the cleaner settings and, in my opinion, just isn't voiced for metal. The EL84's will break up sooner and get a nice overdrive.

Let's throw a Mini Rectifier in the mix. Current amps are a Mesa Mini, H&K TM36, PV C30. Trying to get the right mix, some stuff would have to go. Not looking to build a collection.

5:25 will kick classic 30 and H&K out of your home...it does the recto sounds also, but not 100%...

Back