My 5:50Plus

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DannyB_KY

Reaction score
Now that I've had the 5:50Plus head and Recto 2x12V for a week, I have to say its about as perfect for me as I could get an amp, unless I ordered a super expensive custom build. I love this amp! I'm a blues, blues rock, classic rock kind of guy and this amp will certainly do it and it does it well! :D

I switched out a few preamp tubes. It seems to have been loaded with JJ ECC83s from Mesa.

Anyway, you have a new owner hanging around the forum.

Allow me to jump on the band wagon. Just got a 5:50+ here in the UK and it just sings - especially channel 1.
The cleans are amazing, but the Crunch mode is sublime.

Still warming up to channel 2 and am thinking of running the Blues mode (channel 2) as my clean sound and the Crunch mode (channel 1) as my overdrive sound (as suggested in the manual).

Also quite like the bouncy, squashed feel of the 5W mode, especially on dirty sounds. The guitar feels so "elastic" under the fingers on that mode - a lot of fun to play.

Danny, did you try the head with Black Shadow speakers before going for the Vintage 30s?

Naw man, I didn't try the shadows. I've loved the V30s since the early 90s. So I bought the world renowned Recto cabinet loaded with my favorite speakers. And I'm extremely happy with the cab and V30s. 8)

Oh yeah! I forgot to mention my default mode is like yours blues and crunch! That blues channel is awesome!!. And thats a gross understatement!!

Try it "backwards": I use the Blues ch w/gain set low for my cleans (semi-cleans), and the Crunch ch as my OD tone. Sounds great ...I'll never go back. The Clean ch has great pristine cleans ...very "Fendery" IMHO with tight bottom and nice sparkle, but missing mids for my tastes. The Blues fills out the mids perfectly, and gives it more "voxy/brit" mid-to-mid highs that are perfect for rock and blues. LOVE this channel!

And the Crunch is perfect for classic and blues-based rock ...set the Contour below 1200 (or where you like it), and you've got that old-school rock tone to a tee.

Edward

Back