The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:50 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 10:16 am 
Bottle Rocket

I've changed the Celestion V30 for a Celestion G12 Century Vintage with the Neodymium magnets. It's 3 kilos (6lbs) lighter and is similar sounding to the V30 but, in my opinion, less harsh. It's had around a 100 hours playthrough at various levels to date and sounds really good to me. Well worth considering if you like with the Celestion tone.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2015 7:39 pm 
Mark II

I put a Tone Tubby Purple Haze in my 5:25+ and WOW! I have been using a Cannabis Rex, the V30 was too bright/spikey for my taste. Was liking the CR, very smooth. Even thought the Purple is bright and the 5:25+ is bright, the combination is great.

I had not used Blues much, really like how it sounds from mid gain to cranked. Clean is much better than with the CR. With the V30 all I heard was the high harmonics, now can hear the fundamental and harmonics. Burn is great, even though the Purple is better at cleans on other amps (it is supposed to be similar to a JBL K120). Responsive to tone controls and EQ, can get chime without spike.

The Purple is best with some volume, the ANICO and hemp cone combo will sing once you apply power. I had been using this speaker in my MKIIA, it just wasn't a good fit except for really clean. The lead channel was getting better as the speaker got more playing time. But nothing close to how it sounds with the Express.

Express 5:25+ with Tone Tubby Winterland

PostPosted: Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:06 pm 
Bottle Rocket

a very well broken in V30 works for me, the amp certainly feels more alive than with the standard Celestion

PRS CE22
Gibson Les Paul
'89 Fender strat
Custom shop Tele FMT
Blade Custom Strat
Dumble ODS Clone

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:27 pm 
Bottle Rocket

jestaudio wrote:
a very well broken in V30 works for me, the amp certainly feels more alive than with the standard Celestion

I have a non-plus 5:25. Almost immediately I changed out the Mesa Vintage 30 for a Cannabis Rex, more out of reflex than anything else. Sounded very good but found that it tended to over-emphasize the lower end in a unbalanced way - too flabby - that I could not dial out. Also tried briefly a Mesa Black Shadow 50 watt (eminence made) from my '86 Studio .22 which sounded alright but not that inspiring. So after a year or so put the original speaker back in and - wow, just brought the amp to life. Very well balanced, great detail without being harsh, and nice bottom and mids. There is a lot to be said for the Mesa version of the Vintage 30 - its their own variant made in England and is reputed to have a smoother top end than the regular Chinese made version. Anyway, I think Mesa made a good choice in this speaker and voiced the amp to work well with it.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2015 8:43 am 
Mark II

Just got a Tone Tubby Winterland. Mounted it in a 1x12 cab so I can compare and try with different amps. First impression is good. Compared to the Purple now in the 5:25+ combo, it is a bit louder and more forward sounding. Maybe it is the upper mids? A little less bass. Have not played with the EQ much but seems to respond well to tone and the graphic. This is not like a Cannabis Rex, it is brighter.

The Purple is a bit sweeter. Thinking a combo of ALNICO and being played in. Both together are very nice. Will probably put the Winterland in the combo and have the Purple in the extension cab.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 15, 2015 6:58 am 
Donating Member

Another vote for the C90. I play my 5:25+ head through a Mesa Lonestar 1x12 cab with stock C90 installed. Sounds great.

Ernie Ball Albert Lee HH
EVH Striped Series
Mesa Express Plus 5:25
And one very understanding wife.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2015 1:53 pm 
Bottle Rocket

I ended up with a seismic 2x12 cab (iffy build, but usable) and I got a well broken in V30 (England) to go with my c90

Initial impression is WOW... sounds great to me

Even clean, infinite sustain with my newly acquired '89 Les Paul Custom

Both at low and high volumes, it's EXACTLY what I was looking for

thanks guys

side note: the LPC's from '89 have extreme resonance and Bill Lawrence designed pu's...I think they whole thing is awesome

A friend of mine has a 57 Les Paul, and he was in shock!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:33 pm 
Bottle Rocket

Just dropped a Celestian Century in my Express 5x25 and loving the lighter weight. Speaker sounds great!. I must say what a royal pain swapping in out though. I had to remove the back plate, drop the chassis and pull up the reverb tank... good times!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:22 pm 
Mark II

Played a small club recently, used a 1x12 extension cab with the combo. While not needed for volume, it added to the overall sound. Tone Tubby Purple on top, Winterland in the combo. The Winterland is starting to come into its own, but really nice combination from clean to dirty with the Purple.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 11:02 am 
Mark IV

I recently purchased a 5:25 Plus combo and I really like the speaker offering in this amp! I think it sounds great for cleans to high gain. Also, I am sure the stock speaker will sound even better when broken in, but I like what I am hearing so far. I simply adjust the treble knob and or GEQ high frequency sliders to suit me.
I also own a Widebody 112 cab with C90 and I am sure the addition of this cab with my combo would sound killer. I just haven't done that yet because am experimenting with the amp stand alone for now.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 2:05 pm 
Bottle Rocket

MBJunkie wrote:
I recently purchased a 5:25 Plus combo and I really like the speaker offering in this amp! I think it sounds great for cleans to high gain. Also, I am sure the stock speaker will sound even better when broken in, but I like what I am hearing so far. I simply adjust the treble knob and or GEQ high frequency sliders to suit me.
I also own a Widebody 112 cab with C90 and I am sure the addition of this cab with my combo would sound killer. I just haven't done that yet because am experimenting with the amp stand alone for now.

I've had my 5:25 Plus for 14 month now and have not had the urge to swap out the V30. In my past "Fender" days with Blues Jrs. and Hot Rod Dlx I switched speakers every other month on a tone quest. I think Mesa got it right with the V30, now I may be temped to try a WGS Veteran 30 someday. The Express is definitely a "modern" voiced amp, you either like that premise from the start or you've selected the wrong amp.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2016 3:24 pm 
Mark IV

Glad to hear that somebody else thinks Mesa got it right with their choice of speaker in the 5:25 Plus combo!!
Btw.....I don't think the 5:25 Plus is a modern sounding amp per se. It can be depending on how it is dialed in though.
The Blues mode is definitely not modern sounding and sounds great to me! Very versatile amp indeed and fun to play.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 7:58 am 
Mark I

biggest question is what volume level you will be playing at.
low volumes your best choice is alnico
At high volumes alnico might be a bit bass-heavy..
Ceramic speakers are probably best when the going gets loud.
Other than that, I can't say enough good things about tonetubby speakers - expensive and worth it.
Keep that MC-90, but it is better in a big cab maybe at higher sound pressure levels.
Celestion makes great alnico speakers, as does jensen, and Tonetubby.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:35 pm 
Bottle Rocket

So we as a community are more in favor of a speaker swap. Sounds like cannabis rex, greenback, century, c90, winterland and tone tubby are some winners for a less shrill high end while maintaining the flavor of the amp.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 31, 2016 6:24 pm 
Mark II

BeerBatteredPhish wrote:
I've had my 5:25 Plus for 14 month now and have not had the urge to swap out the V30. In my past "Fender" days with Blues Jrs. and Hot Rod Dlx I switched speakers every other month on a tone quest. I think Mesa got it right with the V30, now I may be temped to try a WGS Veteran 30 someday. The Express is definitely a "modern" voiced amp, you either like that premise from the start or you've selected the wrong amp.

Had mine for two years now 5:25+. Had a DRRI and BJ I also went on that tone quest with speakers on the DRRI and if I still played would probably just put the original Jensen back in. The BJ is a special edition with Cannabis Rex. It's a version III which has some of the popular mods. It's sounds good, I thought GREAT.............until I got the Mesa. Don't play either and thinking of selling one or both as I also have a BDRI when I need LOUD.... but even there I would probably take the Mesa and just mic it. I can get a better "Fender Clean" with the Mesa although I use the Blues channel for my cleans and Crunch for OD. THE most versatile amp I've ever played and full sounding 1 - 12" combo, NO boxiness like you can get from the BJ unless you turn it way up and dime the tone controls. Was almost tempted to try the CR in the Mesa but the special Vintage 30 I think is voiced just right.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next