The Boogie Board

Discussion Forum for Mesa Boogie Products
It is currently Sat Nov 25, 2017 2:46 am

All times are UTC - 6 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 10:12 am 
Mark III

b00g13mk2B wrote:
The lead tone on the clip sounds great! What channel/mode? How does channel 1 Clean sound with the Canabis Rex? That is the channel that I am having problems sounding the way I want. Coming from a Mark IIA

The video clip is actually my Mk IIC+. I was trying to show everyone the sound(s) that I go for. But to answer your question, channel 1 sounds very warm with the CR, very Fender Blackface sounding, it also takes pedals well should you want to use them.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2014 5:14 pm 
Mark II

revgsmall wrote:
b00g13mk2B wrote:
The lead tone on the clip sounds great! What channel/mode? How does channel 1 Clean sound with the Canabis Rex? That is the channel that I am having problems sounding the way I want. Coming from a Mark IIA

The video clip is actually my Mk IIC+. I was trying to show everyone the sound(s) that I go for. But to answer your question, channel 1 sounds very warm with the CR, very Fender Blackface sounding, it also takes pedals well should you want to use them.

Well, that explains a lot! I'm finding the CR lets me make much wider adjustments with the treble and mid controls with more difference in the sound. There is something in the lower mid (?) that could use something, working on the EQ. Also relates to how much power to the speaker.

How long do you think it took to break in your CR? What differences between brand new and worked in?

This amp is a perfect size for small clubs, else I would do like others and get a second cab. The V30 + CR or C90, etc. would be a lot of fun to play with and see.

Express 5:25+ with Tone Tubby Winterland

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 9:58 am 
Mark III

I'd give it 3-6 months depending on how much you play as far as breaking in the CR. I like a little bit more boost in the low mids as well. An old Mark Series trick is to raise the Mid knob higher and compensate by turning down your treble knob. But since you have the 5 band eq, just bring up the first slider a tiny bit and the second slider a tiny bit more, then just leave the 5-band eq on. On songs where it may be too wooly sounding you always have the foot switch to turn it off should the song call for it. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 10:46 am 
Mark II

revgsmall wrote:
An old Mark Series trick is to raise the Mid knob higher and compensate by turning down your treble knob.

I may try that on my non-Plus Express. You'd have to boost the gain to compensate (because the treble knob adds so much gain), but I'm curious how it would sound. Thanks for that tip!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:46 am 
Bottle Rocket

I recently picked up a 5:25 + head with a boogie cab and mc-90. Need to break in the speaker, but so far I love the sounds. Cannot get a bad sound out of it with my custom tele with SD P90's. Humbuckers seem bit more difficult to dial in, but so far I'm loving this combo. I closed tha back of the cab and added a port tube, tuned to 50 Hz at the moment.

Seems to be very touch sensitive, in a good way

PostPosted: Wed Jun 11, 2014 9:36 pm 
Mark II

I owned a Mesa DC3 and an Orange Rocker 30 and the Vintage 30 speaker turned me off on both of these amps.

I just bought an Express 5:50 with a Celestion C90. Not familiar with this speaker and have not picked up the amp yet so I can't offer any help or feedback this speaker.

I would suggest going with a Celestion Creamback.

Good luck with your search.

1968 Fender Vibro Champ
1969 Fender Super Reverb
1969 Fender Twin Reverb
1969 Marshall 1930 (18 watt)
2016 Marshall 1962hw Bluesbreaker

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2014 9:44 pm 
Mark II

I have a bit older 5:25 non-plus, but it does have the V-30. I paired it with a 1x12 extension housing a Celestion"Greenback" and find it sounds great.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2014 6:27 pm 
Mark IV

I really like how mine sounds through a CRex in a closed back cab. Seriously thinking about converting the combo to a head.

Matt

Mesa MKIV
Mesa Subway Blues
Marshall Class 5 Combo
Binghamtone Amps Twin Jr.

I REALLY NEED TO HAVE MY HEAD EXAMINED!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 8:30 am 
Mark I

Just put a Greenback in mine. Very, very nice!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2014 5:07 pm 
Mark II

Enjoying a CR in my 5:25 Plus combo. Has anyone tried a Tone Tubby 40/40? I was almost going for one, but couldn't find good clips to compare. I did find one where pink noise was put through a variety of speakers, the 40/40 seemed bright with that test.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:04 pm 
Mark II

Had my first gig with the CR in my 5:25+ combo. Very pleased. It tamed the treble, yet still had plenty of sparkle on clean and harmonics on burn. Treble and mid about in the 10 to just under 12 o'clock range. Ran them lower with the V30. Had played around with the EQ for upper mid while in the basement, did not use it for the small club. Great amp!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:04 pm 
Mark I

interesting ideas folks!

I can't wait for one of you to try the Eminence EJ1250.

Eric's Youtube Video on the EJ1250

In the early 90s, I had a JCM-800 with a 1960AV. I loved that combination! The V30s sounded great! But like most of you, I'm just not diggin' the V30s with the Express.

PRS Custom 22-Mesa 5:50Plus--GSC GX-7
Black Strat-----Mesa V2x12----DBX PA2
White Strat-----Laney LC-15---2200W 15' sub

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:58 pm 
Mark II

Send me an EJ speaker and I'll try it 8) . Hard to make a guess how it will sound. Eric would sound good through most any rig. Vintage Strat, Marshall, Eric + any reasonable speaker = great tone.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2014 8:09 am 
Bottle Rocket

Hi all. Thinking of changing the speaker in my 5:25+ and have a couple of question about doing so. I know I can do so from the back by removing the amp chassis, reverb, etc. But what happens if I simply remove the four screws on the front speaker grill? Will the grill with speaker just come off as a unit for a very easy swap?

Also I'm debating between a Celestion Gold and a Eminence EJ1250 speaker. Opinions of each and how they'd compare and sound in my 5:25+?

Also I do realize I'd need to carefully drill for four additional mounting holes in the Celestion speaker to mount it without modifying the amp so that's not an issue for me.

Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:48 pm 
Mark II

See today's post in the Express forum. You need to remove either the output tubes/shield or the chassis. And remove the reverb unit. Speaker unbolts and comes out from the back.

I can't give advice on those speakers. Plenty of info in this forum and elsewhere on the web. General guidance is what do you like or do not like about the speaker in your amp? Then see what others say about the Celestion Gold and Eminence compared to the V30. Note if the speaker reviews are in a closed back cab or open back - mostly a bass and "direct, in your face" type of projection compared to open back.

Get both and try both if you can swing 2 speakers.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next