5:25+ Speaker Suggestions

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spaolino1590

Reaction score
How many change out the 12" V30? Any consensus on what people are replacing them with? Classic Rock mostly...

I play my 5:25+ head thru a C90. I'd bet a Celestion Gold would sound great, I know it's a perfect match for the LSS.

I pulled the V30 out nearly immediately, as I don't care for them. I put in a Mesa MC-90 I had around figuring it would work until I found what I really wanted. The thing is, the amp sounds good to me as it is and I don't feel an urge or need to do anything else. I like the Mc-90 in it. That said, I also found that the new Mesa pedals, especially the Flux Drive and Tone Burst are voiced really well for the 5:25+. I use Channel 2 as a dirty rhythm channel and use the Flux Drive for my lead tones off the clean channel and the Tone Burst kind of like a TS-9 boost for the dirty channel to generate a lead tone. It works really well.
Brent

I just bought a 5:25 plus combo over the weekend and I am thinking a speaker switch might be in order too. Albeit I haven't used the existing V30 much, I've not had good luck with them in other amps. Too grainy and spikey.

I'll likely run the 5:25 Plus through my extension cabs loaded with old EVM's for a while and see how that works.

Two years ago I bought a Brown Note Dumble clone amp and the amp just did not stack up to my old Mesa MK IIc+ but it came with a Warehouse 12-65 speaker and I really liked the speaker. I may try that if the EVM's are not doing it for me.

I bought the 5:25 amp for low volume gigs as my Mesa MK II's are hard to keep down in small rooms. I also wanted a versatile, light weight amp that I can grab and get the hell out of the way of the main act when I am the opener. I may try one of the NEO magnet speakers to lighten the weight of the 5:25 Mesa if I can find one that sounds close to an EVM. I heard that the Eminence Tonker Light might be the speaker I am looking for but at this point I can't be sure.

I am reluctant to put an EVM-12L in the Express, just because they are so heavy, it makes the amp less of a grab-n-go. But, if you put in a Neo or the Em, I'd be curious to hear what you think of it.
Brent

I use an MC-90. Didn't like the V30, and I did try a WGS ET-65, which was pretty good, but the MC90 just had a fullness and sparkle that the other two didn't. I should clarify that I have an Express 5:25+ head, and cabinet is a Forte' 3D, not the combo.

Al

I'll be a/b ing the stock vintage 30 with my extension cab with an old EVM in it early next week. However, I just went down into my basement and realized I still have a very broke in Eminence Cannibus Rex. I had it in a Fender Deluxe RI for a long time and it sounded great in there. It might do this amp some good to mellow the top end a bit. I go for the old school world beat/reggae cleans for rhythm and Santana/Jeff Beck sound for leads so I don't have the same demands on an amp that other rockers do.

Spent some time with the 5:25 plus in my small studio with the stock Celestion vintage 30: the room is 10 by 15 and a bit bright. Using a PRS Santana III. The amp was very bright and spiky on all the channels/voices. Turning the power to the 15 watt version mellowed out the amp a lot with plenty of poop left on the Master knob. Still certain upper mid range notes were in your face (in a bad way) while the rest of the spectrum was pleasing.

I switched over to my old EVM 1x12 cab and the amp suddenly had a broader tonality, the tones opened up. However the speaker made the amp, in the middle gain tones sound a little stringent. I'm thinking the Eminence Cannibus Rex or a Celestion 12-65, Mesa 90 type speaker may be a good choice for this little beast.

Update, I just installed my broke in Emi Cannibus Rex into the 5:25plus. Oh my!!!........All the brittle and spike is gone and it sounds a hell of a lot more in the ballpark of my MkIIc+. I had both amps right together with the IIc pushing a 1x12 EVM cab.

The IIC with its monstrous power section was just what you'd expect, BIG and singing. However the 5:25 plus pushing this hemp cone 50 watt speaker is the closest thing to a mini Mk II I've come a crossed yet. AND at small club volume. And that's exactly what I need. Keep in mind, I play in the Carlos Santana, Jeff Beck tonal range. I'm not banging power chords out all night long with the scooped mid thing. Go here if you want to hear my Mk II www.coyotebros.net and click the video.

A word about the 5:25 combo, it is a total ***** changing the speaker out. You have to remove the chassis and everything that goes with it, so prepare if you decide to make the transplant.

Hope this helps. Have a great holiday!!!

The lead tone on the clip sounds great! What channel/mode? How does channel 1 Clean sound with the Canabis Rex? That is the channel that I am having problems sounding the way I want. Coming from a Mark IIA

I love the CR speaker. I've had it in Fender vintage and reisue blackface amps as well. I've not found a better all around Fender/Mesa sound for clean to slightly clipped sounds.

I've used my 5:25+ head with a EV12L and it sounds fantastic, really clean and clear definition of both chords and single note runs. I have a Emi RW&B in my Fuchs combo that I have yet to try with the Express.

Just put a Cannabis Rex in my 5:25+ combo. I'm liking a lot so far. The spikey high-mid/treble is no longer there as others report. Still plenty of treble. I find the range of the tone controls more useable and making more of a difference. The settings change alot compared to the V30.

I played a gig last weekend, the V30 sounded good cranked on burn. Will see how the CR does next gig and after some playing time.

I added a speaker instead of replacing one. Recently purchased a Mesa 1x12 widebody closed back cabinet with a C90 speaker and stack my 5:25+ on top of it. It's a little too new to form a lot of judgments, but the tandem together does sound big and rich, and the V30 and C90 seem to complement each other very well. It's also easy to run one speaker exclusively if you want.

I haven't tried it with my 5:25, but I LOVE the Eminence Private Jack in my 5:50. Amazing tone out of that amp/speaker combo. I imagine it would be every bit as awesome on the 5:50+ or 5:25+.

I may try to plug it up to the 5:25 just to see how she sounds this week. It's a bit late to pull the trigger on that tonight.

b00g13mk2B said:
The lead tone on the clip sounds great! What channel/mode? How does channel 1 Clean sound with the Canabis Rex? That is the channel that I am having problems sounding the way I want. Coming from a Mark IIA
The video clip is actually my Mk IIC+. I was trying to show everyone the sound(s) that I go for. But to answer your question, channel 1 sounds very warm with the CR, very Fender Blackface sounding, it also takes pedals well should you want to use them.

revgsmall said:
b00g13mk2B said:
The video clip is actually my Mk IIC+. I was trying to show everyone the sound(s) that I go for. But to answer your question, channel 1 sounds very warm with the CR, very Fender Blackface sounding, it also takes pedals well should you want to use them.

Well, that explains a lot! I'm finding the CR lets me make much wider adjustments with the treble and mid controls with more difference in the sound. There is something in the lower mid (?) that could use something, working on the EQ. Also relates to how much power to the speaker.

How long do you think it took to break in your CR? What differences between brand new and worked in?

This amp is a perfect size for small clubs, else I would do like others and get a second cab. The V30 + CR or C90, etc. would be a lot of fun to play with and see.

I'd give it 3-6 months depending on how much you play as far as breaking in the CR. I like a little bit more boost in the low mids as well. An old Mark Series trick is to raise the Mid knob higher and compensate by turning down your treble knob. But since you have the 5 band eq, just bring up the first slider a tiny bit and the second slider a tiny bit more, then just leave the 5-band eq on. On songs where it may be too wooly sounding you always have the foot switch to turn it off should the song call for it. Hope that helps.

revgsmall said:
An old Mark Series trick is to raise the Mid knob higher and compensate by turning down your treble knob.

I may try that on my non-Plus Express. You'd have to boost the gain to compensate (because the treble knob adds so much gain), but I'm curious how it would sound. Thanks for that tip!

I recently picked up a 5:25 + head with a boogie cab and mc-90. Need to break in the speaker, but so far I love the sounds. Cannot get a bad sound out of it with my custom tele with SD P90's. Humbuckers seem bit more difficult to dial in, but so far I'm loving this combo. I closed tha back of the cab and added a port tube, tuned to 50 Hz at the moment.

Seems to be very touch sensitive, in a good way

Latest posts

Back