Express Plus worth selling a DR Z Maz???

5:25 and 5:50's

Moderators: Guitarzan, Grandor, ned, Platypus

ifailedshapes
Single Recto

Re: Express Plus worth selling a DR Z Maz???

Post by ifailedshapes » Thu Jul 18, 2013 11:09 pm

I have pretty discerning ears, and I've always felt that the Express cleans were on par with the Lone Star. Seriously, and Express into a larger cabinet is wonderful. The fact that they upgraded the clean circuit in the Plus series has me jonesin' to try one out!

Really, though, Boogie knows the Lone Star clean circuit is one of the best things they've ever come up with, and you're seeing it make its way into almost every amp they make now.
Guitars --> Pedals --> Amps

Past/Present Boogies
Express 5:50+ 1x12"
Stiletto Ace 1x12"
Electra Dyne Head
Lone Star Special 1x12"
Stiletto Ace Head
Express 5:25 1x10"
Mark IVb Widebody 1x12"

Newysurfer
Mark IV

Post by Newysurfer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:28 am

ifailedshapes wrote:
gitaryzt1985 wrote:I guess, if there was an amp with Lonestar Cleans, the Lonestar lead channel and then some sort of 3rd channel with Rectifier tones.
I don't know if you're aware of this, but you just basically described a Mark V.
I thought the same thing except the Mark V doesn't really have Rectifier high gain though.
It's more Mark series high gain - a little different, not so mid scooped, and even better imo.
It'll also do Lonestar Classic cleans (not Lonestar Special) plus lots more Fenderish & Express type cleans.
Then ad on various Mark crunch & OD tones, singing Mark leads, fabulous reverb etc etc.
My dream amp but too $$ in australia unfortunately :mrgreen:
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

Newysurfer
Mark IV

Post by Newysurfer » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:32 am

ifailedshapes wrote:I have pretty discerning ears, and I've always felt that the Express cleans were on par with the Lone Star. Seriously, and Express into a larger cabinet is wonderful. The fact that they upgraded the clean circuit in the Plus series has me jonesin' to try one out!

Really, though, Boogie knows the Lone Star clean circuit is one of the best things they've ever come up with, and you're seeing it make its way into almost every amp they make now.
+1
I've always found 5:50 cleans & reverb to be very similar and just as great as LSC.
I prefer it to the Fenders I used to own.
Gretsch Jet Firebird, Gretsch G5422, Gibson SG Deluxe, Strat Plus - Mesa 5:50, Mesa Mark V 25, analog pedal boards
Check my Mesa Soundclick recordings on http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default ... dID=792315

SteveB
Bottle Rocket

Post by SteveB » Sat Jul 20, 2013 6:25 am

Hi ifailedshapes,
If you have a minute I'd be interested in hearing a little more about how you think the 5:25 compares tonally to the LSS, including channel 2 the LSS. I bought a 5:25 Plus about 9 months ago and preferred it over the LSS for a bunch of reasons (more versatile, less $, smaller footprint) but thought the LSS was a really cool amp.

Thanks!
Steve

ifailedshapes
Single Recto

Post by ifailedshapes » Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:30 am

I wish I could give you a true comparison, but an 10" 5:25 combo vs a 12" LSS combo isn't exactly fair. :)

With that said, I did run the 5:25 into a larger cabinet a couple times, and it sounded much better than the Mark IV I was comparing it against. Just a fuller sound both clean and dirty.

My Strat and LSS were a match made in Heaven. I never should have sold it! Anyway, the LSS drive channel isn't nearly as versatile as the 5:25. I wish I could say more, but the speaker differences will overshadow my opinions.

I do remember my favorite drive sound being ch 1 Crunch, so I would actually use channel 2 Burn (super low gain) for cleans. I read that on here years ago as an alternative to the Blues mode.

Anything more specific you want to know?
Guitars --> Pedals --> Amps

Past/Present Boogies
Express 5:50+ 1x12"
Stiletto Ace 1x12"
Electra Dyne Head
Lone Star Special 1x12"
Stiletto Ace Head
Express 5:25 1x10"
Mark IVb Widebody 1x12"

Heritage Softail
Mark IV

Post by Heritage Softail » Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:57 pm

The MKV has some great strengths. A nice variety of models by Mesa of some iconic Mesa tones.

It in no way is a Rectifier.

It is not a crunchy Marshall.

I had a MKV for a year and a half. I tried many things to get a Rectifier chug. I have bought two Rectifiers since then, combo and head.

For a thick recto chug out of some other amp, the Wampler Triple Wreck pedal is gonna be the ticket with the Maz. Just got mine back after letting a friend borrow it for 2 weeks. He posted about it on Rig Talk forum. Same situation wanting a pedal to transform a great clean and blues rock amp into a fire breather. I use it with a Tele into a Maz 38. It sounds amazing.
Mesa MK IIC, DSL100, Dr Z Maz 38 NR, Bogner Uberschall Twin Jet purple mod, 5153, Rectoverb S2

JP6, LP, SG, Anderson Pro-Am, Suhr, PRS, Strat, Tele, assorted victims of pentatonic hacking.

Gone - MKV, Single Rectifier, Rivera K-Tre

18 year chip.

kdorsey
Donating Member

Post by kdorsey » Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:33 pm

JB:

Why take the risk again? Keep the Maz, and buy the 5:50 from a retailer that has a 30 day return policy and buy it on a credit card. Give yourself 2 weeks to make the decision then pull the trigger on one of the two. You need the two of them in the same environment to effectively make a comparison...because you really are making a comparison between the two. It may not be a true tonal comparison - because that would be impossible - but a functionality comparison with your pedals and guitars. The only potential downside is if you can't live without either one. Then you're screwed. :lol:

Good luck buddy!
'89 Mk III Combo - green stripe
Simul w/ EL-34s | EQ | Rev | EV12L

(2) Boogie 2x12 Half-back Cabs

TimeSignature
Mark IV

Post by TimeSignature » Sun Jul 21, 2013 9:50 pm

I'm thinking a Mark V will be perfect for you.

Lonestar cleans and can easily do Express series gain.
Marshall JVM210h / PRS 2x12 cab
Fender: US Strat, Performer; Gibson: LP Std, LP Trad Pro, Classic; PRS Cust24, Ibanez: FP77, JPM100 P1, FR1620, RT452, RG470, RG752