My new 5:50

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bigfellla

Reaction score
Hey guys

Im new to the board and also a new owner of a 5:50 2 x 12.

Gotta say I love this amp already!

Picked up a floor model (with a 5 year warranty) without a single mark very much a new amp for $1800.

Good deal!

So ive been reading on this forum that it may be a good idea to change the tubes. Is this true and why?

Thanks again

Ben

Bigfellla said:
Hey guys

Im new to the board and also a new owner of a 5:50 2 x 12.

Gotta say I love this amp already!

Picked up a floor model (with a 5 year warranty) without a single mark very much a new amp for $1800.

Good deal!

So ive been reading on this forum that it may be a good idea to change the tubes. Is this true and why?

Thanks again

Ben

I wouldn't change anything until you've had a chance to settle in with it. The stock tubes are fine.

Mine has the Eurotubes cocktail, and I think they're a bit quieter, but my 5:25 has the stock tubes and they work just fine as well.

Hi Mate.

I play in quite a hard rock band and found the stock mesa pre amp tubes a little to be desired to be honest.

I went on Doug's recommendations and purchased his tone kit for this amp.

The difference is MASSIVE. The smoothness of the gain, the overall head room of the amp, the warmth of the clean tone.

Seriously massisve difference. The drummer in my band even commented on it ;)

Very happy, big results and well worth the 120 bucks.

Bigfellla said:
Hi Mate.

I play in quite a hard rock band and found the stock mesa pre amp tubes a little to be desired to be honest.

I went on Doug's recommendations and purchased his tone kit for this amp.

The difference is MASSIVE. The smoothness of the gain, the overall head room of the amp, the warmth of the clean tone.

Seriously massisve difference. The drummer in my band even commented on it ;)

Very happy, big results and well worth the 120 bucks.

Kind of a thread revival here, but....

Bigfella, what recommendations do you speak of? I've got a 5:50+ and am interested in exploring some alternate tube choices....

Thanks!

Back