Loud POP Switching Channels Express Plus 5:25

The Boogie Board

Help Support The Boogie Board:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
New user, searched and could not find specific details, so sorry if this is a known issue of common.

I get a very loud POP when switching channels on my new E+ 5:25. Running CH1 on 5W, CH2 on 15W, but it seems pretty consistently loud no matter what settings.

Any ideas?

I just tried mine and it doesn't do the same. I'll try again with mine set to your exact channel-wattage settings and let you know though.

Still happening...independent of wattage settings, louder when switching from Clean/Crunch to Blues/Burn...very loud even with amp volume down low. Re-seated footswitch cable on both ends...it happens without the footswitch also (with amp mini-toggle only and FS unplugged)...

I would send your new E+ back for warranty repair. Although I can't speak for the circuit as I don't have a schematic, Mesa is fond of using relays for channel switching, which would likely result in a popping sound, if, it wasn't for their patented mute circuit which Mesa is also fond of. I would suspect something has gone wrong with the mute circuit.

Don't mess with your warranty. Get it to a repair center.

Good luck, - Pat.

FYI left 2 messages for Boogie support over two days, not even an acknowledgement.

Maybe the Boogie's going back...PRS support always responds within max one business day. Premium price should = premium service.

I'm not sure if you even need an RMA to get warranty service. Too bad you can't get a call back. Note: Mesa is not open at all on Fridays. I would find you closest Mesa repair center and call them instead. You cheapest route is to take it some place locally as if you send it back to the factory you are on the hook for shipping it there. Link below:

http://www.mesaboogie.com/US/Dealers/dealers___support.htm

How new is it? Less thean 30 days? Did you buy it from a Mesa dealer? If so, they may exchange it.

- Pat.

Thanks, Pat - got it from a local Guitar Center less than two weeks ago, I think that may be the best route as well.

I'll let you know how it goes...

UPDATE: they called back and indicated that this is "normal" behavior. Guy on the phone was a CS rep, had to "relay" my concern to a tech. I would have thought that I would have been able to demonstrate over the phone while on with a real tech so they could hear it.

He told me to play it louder so I didn't hear the pop. Seriously?

SOOO not impressed with the service...think this one is going back, and maybe it will be a straight return instead of an exchange...

Those schlappies at G.C. are as worthless as tits on a boar hog.

If they have another amp in stock, take it back, plug into the one they have, see if it pops (you know - just like their expert customer reps say, and, it will not), shove your defective amp up their rectal cavity :twisted: , get your money, go to a mom and pop Mesa rep and get another amp (make sure it works), and finally, write Randal a 200+ word nasty-gram on your experience with G.C. Maybe he will finally pull his product off the Evil Empire's shelves.

Yes, I have had an ugly past experience with G.C. I'll buy their stuff if I'm in a pinch, but, I will not communicate with any of their mind-less borgs, in any way, because it will only enrage me.

- Pat.

I should have clarified...that was MESA support that told me that.

I am very disappointed.

Gonna look at the next level Blackstar up from my 40, has a solo boost like the 5:25, and an added presence control that might open up the amp a bit so I won't need to clean boost it to get more high end on the clean channel.

My 5:25+ custom arrived yesterday and boy does it look awesome.

However, I am also getting a very loud popping when switching to a different wattage. I just emailed Humbucker tosee what they recommend.

Response from Humbucker Music:

For the popping, the best thing to do is to cycle the switches a few times before you play it. The switch itself builds up a static charge over time. When you cycle it should take care of it. It is definitely not something wrong with the amp. It is somewhat common with certain Mesa models.

Unfortunately it did not work. I am also being told by Mesa this is "normal" pop and when switching wattage settings the best advice is to use standby.

After a lot of Internet searching this seems to be a common problem with Mesas so sounds like I either deal with it or go with a different brand.

I noticed that my popping does indeed get less noticeable when the amp is running awhile, but it never really goes away.

Man, that sux. I would definately not like an audible pop happening during a live performance, and, I can't believe Mesa would ship a product with that kind of enginerring defect.

I think I would call Mesa again and run it higher up on the ladder. Talk to Tien Lawrence.

You didn't pay the big bucks for that to happen.

- Pat.

Additional response from Humbucker Music

Sorry to hear that you are still having trouble with the amp. I definitely understand your concern. I probably should have been a little clearer in my initial response. Popping is actually quite normal when you are switching power modes(wattages). When you think about it that is actually a pretty drastic change in the amp when you consider how the power section of an amp operates. I know the popping can definitely be somewhat disconcerting, however I promise it is not the amp malfunctioning and is definitely not doing damage to the amp. I am afraid that all the amps with the ability to switch wattages are going to pop a bit when you switch them. Many manufacturers actually recommend that you put the amp on standby when switching power modes for this reason.

I sent mine back today to have them take a look. I lost confidence in this amp and most likely exchanging for the Mini Rec. Much simpler and not as many switches, etc.

Hey, quick update - popping never went away, and I had some other issues (flabby bottom end, physical buzzing sound coming from inside the amp) so I took it back and swapped it for a 5:50+

Minimal popping...not sure if my amp was a bad one or not...but happy w the swap.

I think that another board member already made a similar reply, but I will try to be more specific. I am using the TA-15, which also has channel switching and multiple power modes. When I do a channel switch between same-power setting, say Channel 1 at 5 watts to Channel 2 at 15 or 25 watts, then I will heard an very audible pop. This happens moreso when I switch from low to higher power. Not really loud, but enough to be annoying. But when switching from channel to channel with the same power setting on both channels it is much more subtle and less annoying. Are you using different power settings when this happens, or does this have no affect on the degree of pop that you hear? And if you are using different power settings, is the sound equally loud when you switch back and forth, or is it a louder pop when you switch from lower to higher power channel?

Latest posts

Back